Turn and sit on the Go-outs

Thread: Turn and sit on the Go-outs

DefaultTurn and sit on the Go-outs

I have started to train Kodi on go-outs. While she is doing well on the "focus" (marking the end of the ring) and going all the way to the ring gate (and bumping it with her nose, as per instructed by the class instructors...giving her a 'job to do" at the opposite end of the ring). I seem to be having a problem getting her to turn and sit in a tight manner afterward. She has a tendency to turn wide and not facing directly back.

So far I have tried luring, but she is SO focused on the food that there is nothing pretty about it. Kodi can turn on a dime, (reminds me of a reining horse), but she looks like she has no flexiblity. We warm up by her doing tight circles at both of my sides, so I know she "can" do it. When we do field work, I can whistle-sit her and she will turn 'in place' 40 yards from me and face me, so she has the mechanics of that kind of behavior.

Today I tried putting boards propped on the gate on either side of the stanchion (sp?)...her go-out spot for now...and that seemed to help. I suppose I can gradually fade those as she gets the idea. Kodi REALLY wants to please, so I know it's just that she does not understand what I am asking of her.

I was getting really frustrated in class yesterday, but felt like I was going to "whine" about how 'luring is not working' if I didn't come home and try the luring as the instructors suggested. But, I had been trying the luring for a week previously and seemed to be getting no where.

So, how do you teach the turn and sit on the go outs? Should I just keep using the boards? Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Turn and sit on the Go-outs

When I first taaught Kona the go out I used the broad jump boards to create a chute. I used 2 at the gate and 2 more sets that he ran through. I then used smaller guides later that I weaned out. With the problems I'm having with Kona on crooked go outs we're going back to the guides for a while. To teach the turn and sit I followed Kona out and lured him to turn and sit within the 2 broad jump boards.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

I used the raised platform I use for teaching fronts/finishes. It's just wide/long enough for the dog to plant it's butt and paws. I nail 1x1s underneath to raise it up slightly so the dog knows if it is on or off.

One of my training buddies uses a pvc frame as a marker.

Another friend used a very long runner size width of indoor/outdoor carpet to mark the "flight path". ;D

I've send the broad jumps boards used like Linda does too.

When I first started teaching the go out I started very close and spun Murray around with treat insuring he was straight. Gradually I increased the distance for the send but followed him in and spun him around with the treat every time. Then we started working close again and I would send him, let him spin on his own and treat him...gradually increasing the distance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

When I first taught this the boards didn't work for me. It only served for added confusion.
    What I do instead is send him and I follow him out there. I'm right behind him when I ask him to sit so when he turns he can't go forward, and he just sits and gets a reward.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Just wanted to say, this is very interesting to read. I am beginning to think about go-outs. Haven't done a thing yet, just thinking There are some good tips here!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

I tried the propped up for a few days and I think Kodi go the idea. This is what I love about this dog. She tries SOOOOO hard to please, and if she fails, it is just because she does not understand. Anyways, we tried the go-outs in class last night (new ring for this particular exercise), and she went right out and bumped the gate. I followed right behind her and she turned tight enough so that her butt was right up against the gate. Bless her little heart!

We are still a long ways from a complete picture, but at least I have something to work with!