Anyone else have this issue???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone else have this issue???

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultAnyone else have this issue???

We worked through a simple course today in Rally class. And learned a few things like the 270 left and right turn...going from normal pace to fast pace back to normal pace...etc etc.

Wellll my problem is that...Buck runs through the course great when he isn't on a leash!!!
    When I am holding the leash he tries to take off to the side and visit another dog...or when we do a halt...he will come and sit kinda infront of me or stand at a weird angle or he will stop to sniff something...decide to stop and shake his head or itch his chin. It's quite ridiculous and odd!
    At one point we had to stop and do a sit then down and stay...and when I asked him to do a down...he PLAYED DEAD!! It was funny but frustrating at the same time.

It was only our second class...but I need to be able to get him to do the things well ON LEASH!

I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had this problem...I use treats to train him and it does get awkward holding the leash and feeding him I am guessing maybe that is why he isn't as good on leash...I am not sure...

Any tips on how you hold the leash and feed the dog treats (if you use treats) would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Anyone else have this issue???

Yep...dogs have to think more when they are off lead..alot of dogs do better off lead then on lead..can you try not using the leash...just hold it but act like you do when he is off lead..

also when you are working around at home do you do it on or off lead..I find at home we are frequently working off lead and we do good but we don't work on lead at home so he is not use to being on the leash

hmm I do work off leash at home. That probably has contributed to the problem as well :P

Home is the safest place I can practice his off leash skills and I guess we practiced it so much that now he has forgotten how to behave on leash :
    When we are in class he is so much more responsive and attentive when off leash. Another dog run up and bump him but he won't leave my side until I give him permission. But if he's on leash...FORGET IT! He will take me along with him for a ride if he wishes :

Maybe if I attach the leash to my waist...that way I will still have two free hands (like when we are off leash) but he is on leash and hopefully he will get used to being attached to one while working...

Do you think that would work??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

One of my CD students all of a sudden was having all these problems. When I asked how she worked her dog--off lead all the time at home. Well, half of the novice routine is on lead so you have to get the dog use to working on lead with you holding your hands correctly. That was it. She does great off lead but is slightly worse off lead. Very common!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Well, first I must say that I envy your off-leash skills. I found that for some reason, I automatically changed the way I held the leash while actually in a Rally competition. I usually hold it in both hands , with most control coming from my right hand. In the competition I found myself holding the leash only in my left hand, with it held across my waist (which is how I hold it when doing off-leash stuff). I think that helped ME to hold it loosely. It is important in Rally that you don't actually USE the leash at all. I held it so I had a small loop hanging down. It that loop was there, I knew I wasn't holding the leash too tight. Try holding the leash loosely in your left hand - then you can still treat with your right when you need to. Or if you treat with your left hand, then hold it in your right hand only, but very loosely. You can also throw the leash over your shoulder and not have your hands on it for a while. Do you usually use a chain collar for training? If you do, try changing to a flat collar - this way there should be even less feeling of a leash, as long as you hold it very lightly.

I use a regular flat collar. Buck does not respond well to a prong collar or harness when we are working...But he is ok with the prong when we go on our regular walks or when I take him to the park or pet store.

Thanks for the tips! Glad to hear I am not the only one who has faced this problem.

I guess I just have to learn how to be co-ordinated with the leash in hand! Clicker, food, leash = me in a tangled mess.
    I started training him off leash mostly for my convineance (sp?) now it's sorta back firing! It's a good skill to have but should have been doing both with equal rigor :P

patm is offline Senior Member

Uh Oh! Didn't know you used the clicker too. That WILL be hard to do everything at once Sounds like you have to do some basic training with heel on the leash. Also sounds like when you actually take him out to really walk (ie - heel) that you use a prong. So he just needs some training with the leash, and no prong - just start over, like you are just teaching him to heel and use the leash Use what ever method you want to correct for not being in heel position and start from the beginning. I had to do this with Emilu when starting off-leash. We went back to the basics - Heel command, 3 steps forward , stop and sit. You can use your prong at first to reinforce things. Emilu and I have a real problem in class sometimes with other stuff, because we train alot off-leash for other commands (except heel), and in class they let the leash on the dog and the dog has to do everything with the leash hanging down. Emilu is confused by this and doesn't do well on things that I KNOW she can do well. Espcecially with retrieveing. She just isn't used to running out with her leash dangling. So we practice at home with her leash hanging, even though she'll never do this in a show. Guess it's good distraction training if nothing else :-\

yeah I will definitely have to enforce strict heeling when we go on walks. Right now he just kinda trots along with me. As long as he doesn't pull or take off on me I don't correct anything.

Yikes! this stuff isn't so easy :P but I am liking the challenge so far ;D

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

LOL, I have problems off leash. Not that Hudler will run off, but he knows that I will have to come and get him to correct him, so he's worse off leash.

Murray is (always has been) better off leash. Don't worry. It's a very important skill. All of Advanced & Excellent Rally are off leash and Open & Utility obedience are all off leash. You just have to get thru the novice levels and you'll be home free.

When I'm training with a leash, I hold it in my right hand across the front of my body. This allows me to keep a treat in my left hand so the dog isn't forging or trying to sit in front of me in order to see/get the treat out of my right hand. (If you have a dog that forges even with this scenario, put the leash behind you and still hold it in your right hand.)

If I'm luring the dog (beginning heeling training), I hold my left hand at my left hip with the treat clearly showing so the dog focuses on my hip. Once the dog understands, I keep the treats hidden in my right pocket and move my left hand to my belly button where it will be in competition and hold the leash in my left hand.

I train with an ecollar so I know all about handling a leash, treats, and something else. When I start out on leash, I hold the remote in my right hand with my lead. When I'm doing off lead work or advanced on lead work, the remote is in my left hand so I can dole out treats out of my pocket with my right. I hope that all makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast