Wow, I've Been Doing It Wrong...

Thread: Wow, I've Been Doing It Wrong...

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWow, I've Been Doing It Wrong...

I'm currently reading "The Other End Of The Leash" by Patricia McConnell. I just learned something that I didn't realize, and I bet YOU do it too.

When I train my dogs to sit or to stay or to down I will give them the command such as, "Ruger, Sit." When he sit's I will say, "Good Sit!"

What Patricia points out is that if "Sit" means 'put your butt on the ground' every time you say it, what in the world must the dog think when you say it AGAIN after he's already done it? (Good Sit!)

I am hereby going to be very conscious of this and drop the command word from my praise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wow, I've Been Doing It Wrong...

That is such a good book. I have never really done that for whatever reason. Glad to hear that you got that. Did you get her newest one, too?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Yes I did. I got them both with gift certificate I got for Christmas

I'm finding in this book (Other End of the Leash) that many of the behaviours she is citing are just NOT true for my dogs. For example, Ruger will push the ends of his mouth forward (a sure sign of aggression and a bite to come according to her) all the time when he barks or growls. He does the posturing but he never acts out in aggression, never.

And I strongly disagree with her ideas on Hugging a dog. Magnum LOVES to be hugged and held tightly. Ruger doesn't, but Mags really truly does.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    And I strongly disagree with her ideas on Hugging a dog. Magnum LOVES to be hugged and held tightly. Ruger doesn't, but Mags really truly does.
    Remember that most of her clients are dealing with dog aggression. Most dogs don't like to be hugged. Caleb comes for hugs and gives hugs everyday. He'll do it to some of "his people" at the nursing home, too. Remember, like with all things, nothing is 100% all the time. Just like some dog training books that cite examples--not always true. There are always exceptions to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I'm finding in this book (Other End of the Leash) that many of the behaviours she is citing are just NOT true for my dogs. For example, Ruger will push the ends of his mouth forward (a sure sign of aggression and a bite to come according to her) all the time when he barks or growls. He does the posturing but he never acts out in aggression, never.
    Again, we know our dogs and what they do and don't do. These are good things to notice when dealing with a lot of pet people and their dogs. They are signs. There are poeple who consider barking and growling as acts of aggression, too. If all that happens for her books is that we as people begin to read the signs of what the dogs are telling us there would be a lot less bites and a lot less cities banning dogs.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

I "think" I have that book somewhere in my large pile of unread dog books! I still remember my first obedience instructor saying to me - Don't say "good dog"! They know they're a "good dog" - say "good sit!" So much for that. Then when I get to my advanced instructor, shes says "don't repeat your command in your praise - they're already doing the command - don't repeat it. I still tend to repeat it . I'm not sure it matters that much though. I know that Skippy likes to be hugged and kissed and comes up to me for it. But Emilu really doesn't like to be either kissed or hugged. I still grab her head and kiss her behind that ear though, because I want to, and I'm alpha dog She does love attention, and scratching, and loves to be on her back, getting her belly rubbed and massaged - you can just see her relaxing.

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    I "think" I have that book somewhere in my large pile of unread dog books! I still remember my first obedience instructor saying to me - Don't say "good dog"! They know they're a "good dog" - say "good sit!" So much for that. Then when I get to my advanced instructor, shes says "don't repeat your command in your praise - they're already doing the command - don't repeat it.
    One thing about dogs is that they are more visual than anything else. They tune us out real quick which is one of the reasons I don't talk a lot when I work. I use more body language. I use very short words and lots of smiles, ect. That's me, though. I don't recommend to my students, either, to use the command in with the praise. They don't put words together as well as we do.
    Susan

www.labmed.org