Height Cards and AKC Agility

Thread: Height Cards and AKC Agility

DefaultHeight Cards and AKC Agility

I found out that I totally screwed up on when I got Amber's first measurement. I waited till she was almost 20 months old. In AKC you can get a first measurement when the dog is 12 months old. This measurement is good until the dog turns two years old. Had I gotten Amber measured when she was 12 months old I might have been able to run the 16 inch height class until she turned twenty-four months old(2 years old). I ended up getting her measured under all the wrong conditions. She had just woken up, she wasn't tired, she was way alert, etc... I just did a challenge measurement and she measured 22inches exactly So I can now enter her in the 20 inch classes for all shows that haven't closed yet up until she is 2 years old. It will be nice to get her out of 24 inch classes.
    So for anyone that thinks they might do agility in the future..as soon as your puppy is 12 months old go get the pup measured for a temporary height card!!!! Take your pup to the show and have it out all day long run it around the grounds till it is really tired then have the judge measure!! Keep the pups head as far down as the judge will let you. stack the front legs either forward or back and as far apart as you can!! everything to get the pup as low as possible. Even if you aren't going to enter an event till your dog is 20-23 months old!!
    I am putting this down in my list of "Things I would have/will do different in the future"

Kelly and Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Height Cards and AKC Agility

You can also run Preferred and drop to a lower height if this is really that big of a concern to you.

Glad you can enter her in 20" now! Hopefully you'll get lucky and she'll measure down for her permanent card. One of the female AKC reps around here is terrible about wanting the dogs to stand up straight, she practically wanted Boo to stand on his toes, but the male rep who did his first measurement was very nice, and I imagine most judges that are judging and measuring are going to be too busy to try to get a dog to stand on its toes.

Running a dog in 16" that is truly at the upper end of 20", based on a measurement done at 12 months and with all of those tricks to get them to measure down, would have been in EXTREMELY bad taste. Especially if she was to get into Excellent B before 2, Sheltie folk would be coming after you with torches and pitchforks.

I think the 12-months measurement would have been negated anyways when the minimum age for competition changed from 12 months to 15 months, so you would have had to get her measured again at 15 months, and dogs that are under 15 months now will have to wait until 15 months to get measured.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yep I just got a new edition of the rule book and it is 15 months now. And she was already over 18 by the time she was 15 months. So we would have ended up in 20 anyway. And we get to jump 26 in USDAA anyway. And I could enter 26 in AKC also it would be an easy way to get alot of firsts. But no I want to be in the 20 inch class with all the BC's cause I like a challenge. And the way it is going I will still be in Novice A well past 2 years of age..lol
    I am trying to get a VCCH and for that I need to get a MACH so I need to be in standard height not prefered. Adn I don't want my dog to get hurt so I want to jump her as low as possible for as long as possible. If we ever get a MACH she will be done jumping or else she will then move down to prefered. I really don't care if I place or get a ribbon all I want are the green ribbons. I would actually prefer not to place to just quietly get my points and Q's and then when I get close to a MACH go someplace where they don't know me and finish there so I don't have to do the whole bar thing...I hate being in front of crowds and such. I love the way you self ribbon in agility for that reason. In obedience they make you come back in the ring and make it a formal production. . I hate that part.

Kelly and Amber

There is a huge difference between jumping 20" in AKC and 26" in USDAA. Are you just going to stick with AKC trials for now?

Murray would have to jump 20" in NADAC, 24" in AKC, and 26" in USDAA. That is a 6" difference between NADAC and USDAA. Instead I put him in Performance/Preferred in AKC and USDAA so he jumps 20" in NADAC & AKC, and 22" in USDAA which is only a 2" difference and heights that I feel are much more reasonable for heavy bodied dogs like Labs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    But no I want to be in the 20 inch class with all the BC's cause I like a challenge.......I really don't care if I place or get a ribbon all I want are the green ribbons. I would actually prefer not to place
    It'll be interesting to see if you still feel the same way when you're in ExB going for MACH points...those multipliers help big time

I was thrilled when they changed the height for the 8" class allowing 11" dogs to be in there, I dropped my jack down in a blink of an eye. The 8" class usually has half the number of dogs than the 12" so placements are easier to come by. My poor labs run in the 20" class and they're just not built like borders. Darwin barely makes time in Ex jumpers so it'll be quite some time before we're anywhere close to MACH.

20" is a nice challenge, but don't expect to place at all at least 90% of the time. In 24" you can expect a good chance of placing and you'll get the occasional multiplier when most of the Border Collies crash and burn, or with a very fast and efficient almost once-in-a-lifetime perfect run. Placing and winning is FUN, because you've put in so much work and now you have finally shown that you and your dog belong at that level. Placing isn't as important as having fun, but at least for us they go hand in hand (if I make agility fun for Dusty, we run fast and place, which is fun).

If she's putting in times that are fast enough for World Team once she gets into Excellent, over 4.0 YPS in Standard and 5.4 in JWW, you might want to jump her at 24 or 26 to be eligible for World Team tryouts. I'm probably going to put Boo in 24 if he gets up to that speed. Obviously shouldn't expect to make the World Team with a Lab, but it's a nice accomplishment to make it to tryouts.

Wait until you're getting closer to the MACh, and THEN tell me that you don't want recognition or a bar or anything like that. You'll want to finish in front of your friends who've watched you progress so much and work so hard over many years.

For now I am going to stick with AKC. I know that in Nadac she would jump 20 and she would jump 26 in USDAA So if I do enter her in USDAA I would go prefered so she would jump 22". I have a picture of her going over a double jump at a show that was set at 24" and she is easily 4-6 inches over the tops of the bars.
    I do have a plan about the Mach bar victory lap....I am going to train Amber to caryy the bar around the ring by herself. The only pic I have from my High in Trial is of Amber by herself with the trophies and ribbons. I don't mind her getting the recognition I just want to stay out of the spotlight.

Kelly and Amber CD RA WC CGC

And please remember people that I am a Novice A person in all dog events, I had only watched a few agility events before I entered my first one.. This is only my second dog I have ever owned (or owns me). I am trying to learn everything about all these different sports. I don't know a lot of stuff so sometimes I do things the hard way. Most of my success is do to a really great dog and alot of help from here. I am more comfortable with obedience because I can picture a perfect run. I still don't know what a perfect run is in Agility. There are just so many different ways to get from the start to the finish. I am gettting better at thinking on my feet but I still feel like I am bumbling my way through. Someday I hope to be able to get through a course effortlessly like the really good handlers do.

Kelly and Amber

It's just experience, for both the handler and the dog. I still look like I'm bumbling through the course with Boo and I've been working with him for more than a year now.

It would probably be helpful to come and watch the Excellent dogs run so that you can start to get a mental picture of a "perfect" run. We have at least two national champions and two World Team members around here, as well as quite a few very good non-Border Collie dogs, so you're bound to see at least a couple really great runs.