I think we can do this!!!

Thread: I think we can do this!!!

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultI think we can do this!!!

Just had a wonderful training sessions with Emilu. She really likes to train, and gets a little depressed if we skip too many days. We are training heavily for Rally Advanced, and keeping up with stuff for Novice Obdience and of course working hard on retrieving so our instructor doesn't keep crucifying us about the ear pinch thing. She is doing great. I finally think that we can really do the offleash stuff fine, especially since in Rally I can talk to her and pat my leg if I have to. She can do all of the signs. We just started the figure 8 around the food bowls, and I think that just telling her to "leave it" right as we get to the sign will do it. She is very sensitive to "leave it". She isn't terribly toy oriented so I'm not that worried if there are toys there (of course we'll practice with toys too) I am just happy that things seem to be coming together. I am looking for shows in late Feb or early March to enter.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: I think we can do this!!!

Sounds like you two are doing great!

I made the mistake of a collar correction for Ruby when going to the bowls instead of just a verbal and now she gives them a serious W I D E berth...its funny, and yet not LOL.

Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by patm
    We just started the figure 8 around the food bowls, and I think that just telling her to "leave it" right as we get to the sign will do it.
    \

Be careful how you say it though. It will cost you points as it is considered to be a correction.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

It will cost you points as it is considered to be a correction
    Really? I didn't know this. I guess I haven't run in to this situation. So you can't say "no" to your dog during rally? We just must have lucked out - although on leash Emilu didn't really need corrections. You really can't say "leave it"? If they start to go to the bowl and you say "Emi -no - come" is that bad? Looks like I'll have to rethink this. Acutally I don't correct her on anything else that I know of - but I wasn't thinking of this as a correction either. :-\

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds good, Pat! When I have told Caleb to leave it in the off-set figure 8 I was firm but not loud or really harsh sounding--guess more like a reminder. But, on Caleb's behalf, I have work that so much that he is pretty good about leaving anything on the floor.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

I think it's more about HOW you say it, not what you say. No, leave it, ahah, etc are corrections if they are said loud and/or threateningly. If they are said in a normal tone it would probably be a judges call (some may mark it, others not). Oh and if using it meant the difference of Qing vs NQing, I'd use it. ;D