Decisions, decisions.

Thread: Decisions, decisions.

DefaultDecisions, decisions.

I'm thinking about entering my daughter in a NADAC jr handler agility trial in Feb (jrs only). I'm just trying to decide which dog. :-\ Essy isn't ready to run standard yet (I don't think she'll do the weaves but then again she might by mid Feb) but she could definitely do jumpers (jumps and tunnels) and tunnelers.

I'd love to have Meghan run Murray in std but I don't think he'll work for her. He ran out of the ring to me during a Rally match. I think it would be 10 times worse in agility. I set up 3 jumps last night and asked them to run them. Murray sat on the line crying and when Meghan said "let's go" he took the first jump then ran to me. :

I've contacted my trainer to see if we could get some private lessons with her to work with Meghan and Murray together. I have a couple of weeks to make up mind before the trial closes.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Decisions, decisions.

That's a tough decision. IMHO I don't think Murray will ever work for your daughter like he works for you. He seems to be "momma's boy". I could be wrong... but I've seen a lot of folks try to run their significant other's dogs, and it never really works

Sign Essy and Meghan up for the jumpers and tunnellers.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    He seems to be "momma's boy". I could be wrong...
    For never having met the boy, you pegged him pretty well. ;D

I contacted my trainer and explained the situation. She said she thinks it would be really hard for Meghan to run Essy since neither is experienced. She said I should let her run Murray even though he is a momma's boy. She said we can work on their relationship but I don't know if we have enough time to fix it by the trial (mid-Feb).

I am still leaning towards entering Essy in jumpers and tunnelers though but we'll see. I respect this trainer's opinion and she trains many of the jrs in the valley so she knows what she is talking about. She isn't teaching Meghan's class though so she hasn't seen Meghan or Essy yet.

My trainer offered another option. USDAA has a jr handler program too and they also have a trial in Feb. The beginning level is all on leash so she could potentially run either dog at that trial without fear of them running back to me. The bonus is they could qualify for the nationals which are held here in Phx in Nov. I really didn't want to get them started in USDAA but that may be my only choice at this point. I have nothing against USDAA but with 2 dogs, double the training classes, and multiple venues, I'm trying to limit shows to those that will be most fruitful. NADAC is very laid back/casual, has lower jump heights, and allows training in the ring. USDAA doesn't allow training but allows the leash for beginning levels.

Meghan and Essy start back to classes on Mon. This will be there first class together in about 13 weeks (since Meghan broke her foot). I'll be able to make better decisions after seeing how they work together again after that long of a break.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Lydia, I agree with Linda that he's too much of a momma's boy to work for anyone else. Today Caleb's handler was getting upset cause he thought I was close to the ring cause Caleb kept looking around. Those boys can be such a hoot!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org