Buck and My First Rally class was...

Thread: Buck and My First Rally class was...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultBuck and My First Rally class was...

a success! Buck did pretty decent.

I couldn't use his harness (he got chaffed under his arm from it) and we are not allowed to use prong collars.
    I was real nervous about just using his flat collar to hold him back when he wants to visit another dog. My trainer said she thinks he is ready to start learning without any of the other training tools. But I was still nervous because there is a German Shepard there who does not like having dogs come up to him hip hopping towards him...aka Buck style! "Mr. Everyone Loves Me"

But it was not too bad tonight. He only tried it a couple times but quickly settled down and focused on the work at hand.

As much as he makes me want to yank my hair out...he also makes me proud by showing how fast he picks up anything new I teach him. It really is amazing. Sometimes I think that if he had ended up with a more experienced trainer he would have been much further along in his training. I am not saying this just because he is my dog. It really is true

Anyways...no more sloppy sits and downs and heels for Buck. He has to do everything nice and properly now! I also have to learn a lot of new things. Lots of rules and lots of different moves

I think I am going to enjoy this rally thing. Hope we can do well and succeed at this. I have never owned a dog before. This is all soooo new and exciting for me!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Buck and My First Rally class was...

sounds like a good class..good going Buck

;D

I see you started a class with Robbie toO!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

debjen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buckyball
    ;D

I see you started a class with Robbie toO!
    Yep we did...but he's been doing one type of a class or another since he was 4 months old..*G*...we've had about 3 weeks off over the holidays so we were ready to get back into it..started obedience this week and next week we get back to agility too

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Sounds good! Enjoy!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Awww...that's great. I'm glad your instructor is making you do it right now. It will pay off tenfold in competition. I know lots of people who had to retrain because their instructors never told them that all those crooked fronts/sits were pts off....and there are a LOT of sits in rally.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you had lots of fun and learned some things too. Is Bucky just a year old? That's still pretty young for a lab - my 11 year old still thinks he's a pup!! I agree though that you want to train for the results you want - its too hard to retrain and sometimes never successful. If Bucky knows what you want, I'll bet you he will do his best to do it. There is always more to learn and as you gain more confidence in how you train, you will know what will work for your pup and what won't. Not every dog is the same and not every suggestion will work but that's part of the experience. Developing a bond with your pup is the best result no matter what method takes you there. Continued good luck and enjoyment.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

Fabulous! Hopefully Jack and I will be doing some rally courses soon!

2yellowlabs, yah Buck just turned 1 on Jan. 1st of this year. He's definitely still a puppy! But he's a good puppy (for the most part)

Rottnlabs, yah I definitely like it that my instructor wants me to do my best to train him to sit straight and stuff right away.
    The good thing about her she teaches everyone based on their needs. As soon as she learned that I was considering doing Rally with him she right away told me all the things I need to watch out for. So, that gave me like a couple months of head start on making him do things properly while I decided on if I want to go the rally route.

Well it's our second class today! We'll see if all the work I did with him for the past week made a difference or not!

I still can't get him to hold an object He holds it for 2-3 seconds and if I don't say "give" in that time frame and hold my hand out he will just bring it and drop it right infront of me and sit. :