Where to start
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start

DefaultWhere to start

Kallie has been in advanced obedience for over a year now. I am looking to get her involved in something else. Where is a good place to start? Fly ball, agility? Thanks for the suggestions!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Where to start

Depends on what you (and she) are like... Agility is a fairly physical sport for both partners... although you don't HAVE to be in good shape, it certainly helps. I don't think there's any better sport for working together with your dog - the partnership that develops is truly amazing.

Flyball - well, I cannot stand the noise of all the barking dogs there, but for ball-loving dogs there's nothing better.

There's also competitive obedience (AKC or UKC), rally obedience, and freestyle. All have their pros and cons...

debjen is offline Senior Member

Rally is sort of in between obedience and agility..I really like agility (I'm not in particular good shape) and enjoy competing in that

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Have you been showing at all in obedience? We had been in advanced obedience for about a year and I didn't feel ready to compete in that yet, but wanted to get started doing something so I entered us in Rally. We have our first title and are now aiming toward Rally Advanced. I think Rally is fun, and it does help prepare you for showing in regular obedience. I would like to do something with agility, but don't really have time to start something else, not sure if me OR Emilu is in good enough shape right now either :-\

it all depends what you and your dog would like to do. Agility, Dock Diving, Hunt Tests, Flyball, Rally, Frisbee competition, Freestyle dance (yes there really is a organized dancing with your dog competition), Tracking, Search and Rescue, Therapy Dog Work, Back Packing, Sledding, Carting, Lure Coursing, Herding, and probably more I have missed. The last three you won't be able to compete in in AKC. Agility is probably the most well know and popular but I would find a trainer that is compatible with the fact you have and will want to maintain your obedience work.. Rally will be easy for you to compete in with your advanced obedience work...Hunt tests and Hunt training are almost always the fav's of the labs...Tracking is very interesting and not many people do it, but those that do often become addicted to it....Therapy Dog work is a great way to give back to the comunity. So its all up to you or try them all and see what you and your dog like best..

Kelly and Amber CD RA WC CGC and 2 Agility Novice STD legs

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I didn't realise ALL of the different sports to get into with her...I think she will love fly ball..and agility and rally sound like fun too..I'm going to talk to a couple of trainers and see where I should start..we'll probably start with rally...work on what we already know!!!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I just wanted to add a vote for Rally It is a very good place to start after obedience training, but before you are ready for competitive obedience.

Angus has his RN (Rally Novice), and Simon will hopefully get his later this month I don't think either of the boys is fully ready for obedience yet. Rally is so much more forgiving. You can talk to your dog and encourage them the whole way, give multiple commands, basically anything except touch them or give them a toy or treat. It's also a good way for them (and you) to get used to showing in a ring. And it helps hone the skills that you have already learned.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Yeah definitely look into Rally! Buck and I just started our Rally class last night. It was a lot of fun.

He's been in advanced obedience for about 2 months and I was getting kinda bored with. So, I asked my trainer if she thought Buck and I could handle rally class...she said we could...so there we were last night!

I guess it all depends on what kind of person you are and what your dog is into...I am not sure I'd enjoy agility and Buck's a total bum for a lab :P
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

I would sugest that you go to http://www.akc.org/events/search/ and you can scroll through the events and pick a state and time frame and it will show you all the AKC events coming up. Then you can go and watch. Talk to people and club members and ask where they train and why and watch how they do etc.. I have found that most people at dog events are very willing to talk to new people especially if you tell them you are new. The only thing you should do is stay back away from Obedience/rally rings. And be aware of moving and running by rings when a dog is competing. Try not to be a distraction to dogs competing etc.

Kelly and Amber CD RA WC CGC and 2 Novice STD Agility legs.

There are some safety concerns with flyball and the dogs slamming their shoulders into the box. It is also commonly held by agility people and leading authors on performance dog medicine that frisbee is unduly risky because the dog's back legs aren't meant to absorb the shock of landing and there is the risk of them twisting a back leg upon landing. I personally would not do either of those sports, but agility trained without caution and common sense is just as risky, so make sure you train with someone experienced and well-respected by other trainers in your area.

Definitely go to trials and get advice (this would be a good way to find out which trainers are respected by their fellow trainers/handlers). But some of the hardcore top competitor people won't really want to talk to you, and most people won't want to talk immediately before or after a run, so it's best to go up to relaxed and friendly-looking people who are just sitting at their setup or by the ring. You practically can't go wrong with a Lab or Golden person, we like talking to friendly new Lab/Golden people who might later help us in our continual and largely unsuccessful quest to beat them border collies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast