GRRRRR

Thread: GRRRRR

DefaultGRRRRR

Oh Ruby, thank goodness you are cute! You make me so mad sometimes.

We were doing so well with our sits and downs, but yesterday she broke her down and came running to me, and today it was her sit.

She's never come running to me before...might have something to do with the lab get together when we tried to get everyone sitting together and they all got up and started running. Dunno, but I am not pleased at all.

I've never had a dog who had trouble with the EASY exercise before, so any help would be appreciated. I have tried leaving her with someone else attached to her to correct, and she never breaks then.

Three weeks to her first trial and I don't want to be embarrassed...so I'll probably scratch her until she is more reliable. If you could see this girl heel, she's so good at everything else...breaks my heart.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: GRRRRR

What are you doing to correct her?

I would immediately take her back, and give her a firm stay command.

Is this for Novice or Open?

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I had a problem with Hudler doing that the first time we were in the ring for real. Every practice, he does it perfect. In fact, "down" is his favorite, he crosses his front paws and appears to nap. I put him in Rally Nov. instead, we have 1 more trial for his title, and then we are back to trying for the CD.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    I've never had a dog who had trouble with the EASY exercise before, so any help would be appreciated.
    HA! Don't kid yourself. Sits/downs are never the "EASY" exercise. I can't tell you how many people NQ beautiful runs because of sits/downs. Many people assume they are easy but it is actually extremely difficult/stressful for the dog even at the Novice level. They are being asked to stay away from you with a bunch of unfamilar dogs in an unfamilar location. Then you go to Open where you are out of site. Lots of dogs never make it thru Open sits/downs. Nope...sits/downs are not easy at all.

If possible, I would back tie Ruby rather than have someone hold her. No one will be behind her in a show so she'll immediately know the difference. Just pound a hook or post (the smaller the better) into the ground behind Ruby and loop her leash around it. Leave a little slack. Now when she gets up and starts to move she will self correct.

You can still practice with someone else but have that person act as judge, not leash holder. When Ruby moves (leave her leash on so it drags behind her), have the judge step on it, pick it up and put her back in place. Sometimes it's a real eye opener when a dog realizes that ANYONE can correct them, not just mom.

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

Lydia - I agree with you - Sits and Downs are not easy. Its actually the exercise the stopped us from getting a CDX. I could practice and practice - going out of sight - hiding at home where the outside world was very distracting. And all would semmingly be well. We'd get to a trial - and get thru the Open Exercises and then boom - the Long Sit and someone would say - Oops - the yellow lab stood up - Of course that was me because we were the only yellow lab in the class. If only the Long Stand had been the goal we would have been great. The too bad thing is that Doro was pretty good at the Utility exercises but we never Q'd in Open and it was almost always the Long Sit that did us in.
    I thought the idea of a self correction via a post or hook behind the dog was terrific. Worth trying for sure and you are right that some dogs are surprised when they realize anyone can correct them. That has worked for us for sure.
    Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

I put her back where she broke from with a firm SIT or DOWN command, and walk back out, cutting the distance in half. If she breaks again, I do the same, but then stay right in front of her.

I have gone back and done it slow, with 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, one minutes, she is fine, but now as soon as I put her in the possition of a "real" trial, she runs to me.

How would I handle that in a real trial? Do I grab her and leave the ring, do I put her back? I don't know...

These exercises have always been easy for me, Rhys was an angel on sits and downs, and Owee too...never broke I don't think. Ruby has always had a quirk, but I thought we were through it...she does have seperation anxiety, so I know Open will be nightmarish, if we make it that far!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

In a real trial the judge will tell you what to do before the exercise. Some judges will have a ring steward go and hold the dog. Some judges will have the steward bring the dog to you. I've never seen a judge allow a handler to return to the dog (as this would most likely mess up the dogs next to it).

BTW, aren't you just beginning training here? It takes a LONG time to get these exercises down. Trust me, a LONG time. Give it a few more months and see how it goes.

Oh, and one thing about obedience.. .it seems you will fix one thing, and two other things will fall apart. That's just the nature of the game, and it's what keeps a lot of us going and going and going and going to shows

Hang in there, I think it will start to fall together for you.

I've been training her for 2 years! Though she is with all respect, not very bright! LOL

If possible, I'd get someone else to correct her. You are reinforcing the behavior by going back to her when she breaks. This is EXACTLY what she wants. It doesn't have to be a harsh correction (shouldn't be if she has SA). Just tell them to put her back in position and sternly say "sit/stay". Try having someone stand nearby who can give her treats after every minute too. She'll learn that having others nearby can be a really good thing. ;D

Also, AKCs new policy is if a dog breaks position to go to its owner or another dog, it will be excused from the next exercise (ie in A classes if it breaks position on the sit it will not be in the ring for downs, in B classes the order could be reversed). If the dog goes from sit to down or stand, it will be allowed to continued as it did not leave its position. They are doing to this to help prevent dog fights and keep all the dogs safe.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by luvmydogz2much
    I've been training her for 2 years! Though she is with all respect, not very bright! LOL
    Melissa, you are too funny! Perhaps you need to just start over and re-train the exercise like it is new. Just a thought. Also, people have put their front feet in oatmeal boxes to prevent them from moving or tuna cans.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org