Ring Stewarding?

Thread: Ring Stewarding?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRing Stewarding?

OK...

Our club's show is coming up at the end of January.

They are really trying to recruit as many people as possible to help ring steward. I did this last year. But, this year I am going to be competing, and I am even thinking about running both boys some days.

I am not all that good at this stuff yet. It takes an enormous amount of concentration for me at this point, and especially with Angus I have to be very particular about his pre-show ritual. Or at least I feel like I do. I don't think Simon will be as high-maintenance. But Angus...I just feel like if I don't hold my mouth exactly right and bring him in in precisely the right way and warm him up just the right amount of time, he'll blow it.

Anyway, you see what I'm getting at. I really would like to be able to just concentrate on what I need to do. I feel really selfish. :-[ The thing is, I don't even know what time their events will be. What I would hate is to get stuck ring stewarding something RIGHT before one of them went on. That would not work. None of us are seasoned enough for that.

I also don't want to leave them sitting in their crate for an extra couple of hours while I steward. Although that would be better than the first scenario.

Anyway...do you guys know what I mean? I really would like to help, but this is going to be very hard for me as it is and I feel like I don't need any added responsibilities. :-[

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Ring Stewarding?

I think you should focus on Angus and Simon. I also did stewarding last fall when Scotty was not ready to compete. I thought that at least I won't feel as guilty when we do compete. There will be more opportunities to steward in the future.

If you really feel like you want to help out but don't want to worry about conflicts volunteer for ring/show tear down. you don't have to worry about missing anything except maybe the specialty awards.

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

2yellowlabs is offline Senior Member

There will always be a need for Stewards - hopefully - and you will have lots of opportunities to be a steward. I think most dogs clubs understand this that the same members will not always be able to steward at every show they have. At times you will only have the time to focus on your dogs and what you need to do to get them and you ready to show. Other times you will have the time to steward. In my observation, it all balances out. I think the idea to help with set up and or tear down is great, if you have the time.
    Otherwise - be "selfish" and do what you need to to be successful with your pups.

Betsy
    Kelleygreens Couer D'Or, CGC,CD, RAE2 - Doro - Nov. 21, 1995 to Jan. 14, 2010
    Kelleygreens The Shamrock Kid, CGC, OM, UDX2, RE, NA, NAJ, AXP, AJP, ASCA CDX, - Shamrock
    Kelleygreens The Few, The Proud, CGC, CDX, GN, NA - Recon

lcspt is offline Senior Member

From the experience of helping steward and being in charge of the rally ring ..... it is very difficult to show and to work. I feel you would be better off taking care of your boys. As you get further along in competition you will have down time in your show scedule and will be able to steward then.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

patm is offline Senior Member

I was really worried about this at my clubs show last fall (and I wasn't even a club member).They only wanted me to be the honor steward at Rally Excellent, and I still stressed some about it. I told them right off the bat that I couldn't help with the obedience trials, because they were holding Rally at the same time. I did help set-up and tear-down both sites. The honor thing worked out OK because there were only a few dogs that were at that level. I know what you mean about "pre-trial" stuff. I like to get there really early, get set up and walk Emilu all over the place and practice outside, etc. to get her (me?) calmed down and ready to show. I know you worry about stuff a lot and I think that just setting up and tearing down should be good enough right now. Or do the honor steward thing - it's really easy

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I also have a very hard time of working a show and showing my dogs. In fact, I don't do it any longer. I really need to concentrate on my dog and what we need to do to get ready to show. After I'm done I don't mind helping out, but often times I just pack up and go home because I have to get home to care for my horses and get to bed early so I can get back on the road early the next morning to show again.

I don't think you are selfish at all.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

There are lots of way to help, if the club needs HELP, you don't always have to steward. I used to keep an eye on refreshments, run drinks to the judges and stewards, sell programs, sell T shirts, set up etc. The club will understand if you want to focus on showing this time.