Wonderful Training Session ( with Fiddlelady)

Thread: Wonderful Training Session ( with Fiddlelady)

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultWonderful Training Session ( with Fiddlelady)

Emilu and I met with Lynn (fiddlelady) at the RioUniversity today for some training with distractions. She brought 2 of her rescue dogs that she adopted, a 1 year old blue heeler - Sadie, and a 1 year old Sckipperkee - Aggie. Her dogs have very little formal training, but were doing as well as Emilu did after 6 months of training - such are labs! I was extremely pleased with Emilu. We have been doing training for 1.5 years and in advanced training for almost a year now. What a difference from the last time Lynne and I got together. We did long sits and downs with her dogs just a couple feet from Emilu, recalls with distraction, retrieves on flat and over the jump with distractions and stand for exam with Lynn. I showed off all her Rally things, pivots, weave cones, fronts, back-up, etc. She did great! She also was well-behaved around Lynns dogs. It's funny - she saw the heeler first and you could tell she wanted to play with that dog. When she met the Sckipperkee, the hackles went up and she was much more guareded. There's something about little hairy dogs. I had her off leash a lot and she listened to me and didn't go wandering off when she saw the college kids etc. The best distraction was when I had her in a long sit with lynn next to her with Aggie - I didn't realize that SU had driven up behind us and was coming toward us, trying to get Emilu to come to him by patting his leg and motioning her to him. Normally she would have at least started to get up - but NOPE! She stayed put. GOOD GIRL!!! Just maybe we CAN do OK in Rally Advanced and Novice Obedience.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Wonderful Training Session ( with Fiddlelady)

Sounds like you guys are doing well!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

What a great session! It sounds like you guys are working really hard. I'm sure you will continue to excel. The sits and downs are hard for a lot of people... but you seem to be getting them down. Keep it up!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Sits and downs are the pits for us. Well, with Angus. Simon has them down to a fine art. He makes like a statue like nothing I've ever seen. I've decided that I'm just going to keep Angus in Rally until he mellows out a little more and not worry about it. He has gotten worlds better, so I think maybe in another year he'll be able to handle it.

It's fun to train with other people, isn't it? It really breathes new life into me when I can do that. It's so easy to get bored, doing the same stuff around the house all the time. We're on a break from school now, and I have been so lazy. School keeps me honest about training several times a week.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

I know what you mean about going to classes and keeping up with training. When we were trying to breed Emilu and during the time that we didn't know if she was pregnant, I didn't go to classes. I promised myself that I would still keep up with practicing at home, but it didn't happen on a very regular basis! I have also decided to concentrate on Rally right now. The off-leash thing is goint to be a big one for us (at least I think it will be), and I don't want to have to worry about all the precision of regular obedience. I know that the best way is to do Rally just like Obedience, but oh lah! If she does well off leash, then I'll not worry about Novice Obedience so much.