rally information

Thread: rally information

Defaultrally information

Does anyone have any recommendations for places to get information about rally?

My trainer wants me to enter Gabs in rally in February, and I feel like she'd do fine- but that I don't know what I'm doing!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: rally information

Well, the AKC site is a good place to start. They have each of the signs pictured with a blurb about what it is you are supposed to be doing, and rules and regs.

www.akc.org

yes you can order the rally signs booklet from the AKC.org store (its $2) and it has all the signs and how to do them. then the most important things to remember are not to have a tight leash and not to miss any stations when you do the course. Also do not take food or toys into the ring and remove any tags from your dogs collar and leash. Some judges print out course maps for competitors. I would take the course map and walk through it someplace with my dog so I had some practice. Also walk the course as many times as you can.
    Remember have fun! Relax! Breathe!

Kelly and Amber

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Another great resource is the Yahoo Rally forum. Lots of judges frequent it so you can ask questions and get the answers straight from a judge. The files section has lots of signs in different formats (3X5 for example), side by side comparisons, courses, etc.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Rally-obed/

patm is offline Senior Member

http://www.rallyobedience.com/

Try this site too. I highly recommend the book "Rally Obedience" by Charles L. Kramer - he is the guy who started rally. His book is very informative with lots of pics and explanations. AKC has veered away a little from what he recommended, but he explains the differences nicely. Emilu and I are really enjoying competing in Rally and got our first title in September.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Rally is a lot of fun, and it is much more forgiving than traditional obedience It was developed to be a "bridge" between the CGC and going into an obedience ring. Angus got his RN in October. If Mr. Short Attention Span can do it, anyone can!

See if your instructor will set up some courses for you to practice on. There are a few little nuances about Rally that it's hard to pick up from just looking at the signs. Some of the signs are best demonstrated in person. You also need to practice in an actual Rally ring with actual signs, so that when your dog walks in for the first time, he won't be like, "Ooo, what are these? Should I play with them? Eat them? Knock them over?"

Good luck and have fun!!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

I bought little orange cones from Walmart in the athletic section - they work great! I would also suggest watching a few Rally trials.