Tracking update

Thread: Tracking update

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultTracking update

We've been training for slightly over a month now. It's amazing how far Scotty has come. Our trainer has no doubts that we'll pass the TD in the spring (and she's not the one to create unrealistic expectations in people). We've been training in a schoolyard field by our house during the weekdays (two days out of five) and in a field in the middle of nowhere with our trainer and other people on weekends.

Today was the first time we did three 90-degree turns in one track. We've had some snow on the ground in the last two weeks, so it made learning turns easier for both of us. But on one of the days before the snow fell, we were in the field with two curves on our track. I could not see the flags marking the curves, just knew the direction of the first straight leg. I had to totally trust Scotty to track. It was a bit scary since we're still so new to tracking, and I am still fine-tuning how to read him. But I was so ecstatic when I follow Scotty through the first curve and finally saw a flag. And then I followed him through the second curve and the flag appeared! He is such a smart boy, and I am just amazed at the dogs' ability to smell. We now just have to lengthen the tracks and keep doing turns and working out through any issues which might come up between now and April.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Tracking update

I so want to start tracking now. I just don't have the time yet or anyone around that does tracking..Sigh so much to do so little time,

Kelly and Amber

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

WTG Scotty!!! Tracking is so fun!
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Good job, Scotty and Tatyana! ;D It sounds like a blast! As soon as I get Libby's CD/RN (she only has her first legs toward each, and I don't want to take her farther than that because she gets pretty gimpy when she jumps), I think I may try doing hunt tests next, but we'll see....Tracking is definitely something that I could find more places to practice around here. You make it sound like sooo much fun!

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon