Attention Exercises?

Thread: Attention Exercises?

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultAttention Exercises?

Does anyone do any specific training for attention? I keep getting told I need to work on it with Zeke, and so I am trying...but I am looking for ideas.
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Attention Exercises?

I do a lot of attention work with Caleb. Terri Arnold's stuff has some attention exercises, too.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Chris Bach's Attention game: http://www.pawsativechoice.com/Page7.html

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Heeling and attention. Some people when walking with a dog will call the dog when they approach a turn and the dog isn't looking at the handler. This requires that the handler pay attention for the dog. Some people gently change direction so the dog has time to notice the change. I have made it a game of seeing if I can "catch" my dog not paying attention to me by suddenly changing directions and accelerating/ running. If I can hit the end of the 6ft leash before she realizes I changed direction I laugh at her. If she doesn't allow the leash to tighten she laughs at me. I usually can't catch her anymore because she loves the game.I am usually walking a dog that is laughing at me. My dog loves the game because we only do it when we go somewhere we never do it over and over in the same place. We play it at petsmart (the people there must think I am nuts as I suddenly take off and my dog easily catches me and we have a good laugh) we play it at parks and just on walks. She has learned that she can't forge because tat makes it way to easy for me to catch her. She learned not to look all the way to the left for the same reason. I don't think all dogs would like this game but Amber does, so t works for us.

Kelly and Amber

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

One game I teach to my beginners is to hold a piece of food or a favorite toy in your hand up by your eyes and tell your dog to "watch me" When they look at you, drop the food/toy for reward. After the dog is good at doing this, take the same food/toy and hold it in your hand with your arm stretched out from the shoulder arm extended horizontally away from your body. The dog will, of course, watch the hand with the toy/treat. Don't say anything to the dog. As soon as the dog looks at your eyes reward him with a YES! and a treat. The dog will quickly learn to glance away from the object of desire to your eyes

These are fun games you can do in your house

kaytris, I just read that page. It's basically what I do. But the dog doesn't get rewarded for just looking away from the food, it must look at my eyes.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

that's the second part of Bach's method... breaking focus is step one, once you have that, then you wait for eye contact.

What I like about it is that you're not luring the eye contact, the dog is offering it him/herself.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

We do what Linda described. It works really well for us if I hold the hot dogs in my mouth. I spit it out at him for looking into my eyes. That got him used to looking at my face (source of the hot dogs).

Angus gets a lot of compliments on his attention. I wish we had started working on it earlier. We never had anyone in any of our early classes encourage us to do this. Attention is so important...it really should be the very first thing you learn.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever