Heading out... ~UPDATE at the bottom~ We're back

Thread: Heading out... ~UPDATE at the bottom~ We're back

DefaultHeading out... ~UPDATE at the bottom~ We're back

to run in the rain. Today is a perfect day to stay cuddled up inside with a good book but we are off to our 2nd day of AKC agility. It's overcast and drizzling. I HATE to run in the rain but of course Murray LOVES it.

Yesterday was beautiful. Sunny, warm, with a slight breeze. Murray had 2 very nice runs yesterday. We didn't Q (knocked a bar in both runs) but his attention was AMAZING and I only had to restart the weaves once for each run (a HUGE improvement from the past shows where we had to restart 4 or 5 times). ;D I'm SOOOOO happy to have my agility dog back.

I may have found a secret for the weaves. My trainer taped us at our last class. She told me to try to stop and/or hang way back until he gets in the weaves (basically stop micro managing him) and it seems to be working.

My trainer and I both think Murray would have gone directly into the weaves on the jumpers run if the course had been designed with big dogs in mind (my biggest pet peeve with AKC courses). It was a pinwheel to the weaves (a jump, a 90 degree turn to a jump, another 90 degree turn to a jump and directly into the weaves). The weaves were not far enough away from the last jump so Murray landed right on top of the first weave pole (not literally...he just landed beside the first pole) so he didn't have time to collect to enter correctly. I spun him around and he got right in and weaved. ;D

We had to check in a 9:30 yesterday. We walked jumpers at noon but didn't run until 2. Then we walked Std and finally ran at 3:30. By 3:30 Murray (not to mention ME) just wasn't into it. His attention was good but his heart wasn't in it. We had an opportunity to stay and try FAST but once I saw Murray's std run, I decided to call it a day.

I was ticked off about the check in time. Today we were supposed to be there at 9 but I decided I wasn't about to go sit around for hours until our class time. The whole reason I run AKC is because we only have to show up around our class time. It's 10 now so I need to get changed and start heading over to the trial. It's about a 1 hr drive so I should make it just in time to walk. ;D

Now THAT was perfect timing. In a nutshell...

We showed up, walked the course, ran jumpers, Q, took first place, walked Std, didn't Q, won 2 raffle prizes and left. It took all of 2 hrs. THAT's the way AKC is supposed to work. ;D

I worked out of the truck today. I've never had the opportunity to do that before (it's usually too hot to leave the dogs in the truck or its too long of a day to do so). It was AWESOME. I highly recommend it. ;D

The jumpers run was very challenging. I had to do 3 rear crosses over jumps which I NEVER do because Murray drops bars when I do. Well today he didn't. He looked like pro. ;D The weaves were not pretty. I had to restart him 5 times! I wasn't tense the first couple of attempts but I can tell you I could have pooped diamonds by the time I finally got him thru (weaves were the next to last obstacle and I was starting to freak out thinking we're going to loose this beautiful run because of the freakin' weaves). GRRR.

Standard was not pretty. We kept the judge entertained though. Murray went to the bottom of the a-frame and as I turned right, he went left, all the way to the other side of the ring to go thru the chute. : How in the world he saw that I'll never know. Actually I'm sure he spied it from the top of the Aframe...the butthead. So I'm waving my arms and yelling "Murray! Yoohoo! Over here!" and he finally goes "oh yeah, mom. I forgot about mom." He finally rejoins me, he hits the last board of the broad jump, reorganizes the tunnel and finally ends up on the table where he's very slow to sit. The judge is listening to me lecturing Murray about the chute and she's laughing as she is trying to count. He runs past the weaves to the chute again. GRRR. I get him back to the weaves. He does 2 then heads for the chute again. We try again and I finally get him thru the weaves. Yea! The judge is really laughing now. We manage to finish the course with no knocked bars so I consider that our accomplishment for the day...2 runs no knocked bars. ;D

Oh, the raffle items we won are AWESOME. We won a pet first aid kit donated by a local vet. We also won an old fashioned pop corn maker (you know the pan with the lid on top ) with popcorn and seasoning. It's really cool. I'm going to keep it at my in-laws cabin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heading out...

Good luck!
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Heading out... ~UPDATE at the bottom~ We're back

Congrats on the 1st place!
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Congrats! They all have their silly runs sometimes ;D

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Nice attitude! That is what I want to hear!!! After what you have been through!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Awesome, Awesome, AWESOME. I'm thrilled with your Q. Murray is really getting back into form. I'm so glad you did not put him away in the closet Congrats on the Q and all the other fun runs too!!