Sophie's training progress at 6 months

Thread: Sophie's training progress at 6 months

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultSophie's training progress at 6 months

SHe's almost 6 months now - how time flies! Always interesting to work with different personalities - and boy, is working Soph different from Kaylie or Tristan. She definitely has that border collie work ethic, but not obsessively - she is fine with downtime as well.

We just finished intermediate obedience, and she's coming along very well - although other dogs remain a big distraction. But we're working hard on her focuss. She LOVES tug, which will serve us well in agility training - she often brings me one of her toys to either play fetch or tug - but I'm usually able to break off at any time and get sit, down or stand from her in the middle of a game. We've started using the tug to teach her directionals (right and left turns), a'la' Greg Derritt's handling methods. We've also started some 'flat work', getting her to work on either my left or right and starting some 'front crosses' at slow speed. Once I get back from my xmas holiday, we'll start on go outs and develop her targetting (she has a super nose touch to my palm, but I'm so uncoordinated that I need help getting her to the next step, 2 on/2off contacts. We've also signed up for a puppy agility class in January, so hopefully that will help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sophie's training progress at 6 months

Sounds like she is working hard for you. I don't know much about agility but enjoy watching my friends and their dogs run the courses.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

It is hard to believe she's six months!!!! Glad her training is going well! Have fun with her--she seems like she'd be so much fun to train!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You are on the right track. Have fun with her. She sounds like she learns quickly. I know you'll be showing in no time

kaytris is offline Senior Member

No hurry... I hope to have her competition ready by her 2nd birthday. But she's going to have a solid foundation, for sure. (My good friend/training buddy insists on that, LOL.. she's still fine tuning her 2 yo aussie puppy and will start trialling her next spring or summer...