We had a GREAT day

Thread: We had a GREAT day

DefaultWe had a GREAT day

Murray was ON today. ;D We were in the same ring as Sat but Murray didn't sniff and the other dogs kept sniffing to a minimum so whatever smell that was there had disappated

We lost 4.5 pts on heeling and signals. He wasn't lagging at all today. ;D I'm sure we lost the points on sits/fronts/finishes because his signals were perfect. He sits with his butt out slightly so he can look in my face. : I talked to a training buddy and she said we're going to try to get him to focus his attention on my arm band instead. This has only become an issue in Utility.

We lost 3 pts on articles (1.5 each time) again for crooked fronts/finishes. He turned and sat fine both times. He raced out to the pile and quickly found the correct article and raced back to me. His confidence is improving so we didn't have the 2nd guessing issue this weekend.

We lost 2 pts on the directed retrieve. We had glove 2. It was setting in dirt, not grass. Murray doesn't like dirt so when he picked up the glove he sneezed and shook his head back and forth to knock the dirt off the glove. He never dropped it though. The judge probably thought he was trying to kill the glove but he was actually just shaking off the dirt. When I took the glove from him I could see the dirt on his nose and on his tongue as he was trying to spit it out.

Directed jumping. We got set up for the go out. I sent him with "go touch". He raced out to the center go out post (they added a center pole for us today) turned and took the high jump then fronted with a big ol' grin on his face and tail wagging so hard it was sending up puffs of dust. What's wrong with that, you ask? Well the judge hadn't told me to send him over a jump yet because Murray didn't sit. : I told the judge "he doesn't really need us" and the judge laughed. We set up for the 2nd go out. Again it was fast and straight and, without sitting, turned and took the bar jump, then fronted grinning bigger still. : I told the judge "now we really should get EXTRA points for that." ;D

Everyone outside the ring was stunned. They said they thought that going over the high jump without a command was probably a fluke but when Murray went over the Bar without a command they were dying from laughter. The funniest thing is he took the jumps in the correct order. See! He really doesn't need me.

We saw some pretty interesting performances today. There was the flat coat that did his go out, jumped over the ring ropes, ran out to a tree to visit a kid, turned around, jumped back over the ring ropes, ran to the handler and fronted. There was my training buddy who gave the down signal (arm moving straight up then back down in front of her) and her dog ignored her so she gave it again. Then she gave it over and over and over and over rapid fire (like waving) just trying to get the dog's attention. The judge was doubled over in fits of laughter.

Both judges were so awesome this weekend. They had fun kidding around with all of the handlers. Best of all though is the fact that I have my happy obedience dog back. ;D

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We had a GREAT day

Glad he was so on today!!!! So nice to hear!!! I've been checking in to see if you had posted anything. Was beginning to wonder.

So, no green ribbon, though, correct since he did not wait for your command?
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    So, no green ribbon, though, correct since he did not wait for your command?[/color]
    Correct. I still think we should have Q with extra points for his efforts though. I mean he got the order right without any help from anyone.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs

I still think we should have Q with extra points for his efforts though. I mean he got the order right without any help from anyone.
    Oh, I do so agree!!! I just love hearing that his tail was wagging and he was happy in the ring!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, Lydia, this is fantastic! I'm so glad Murray's attention is back. Do you still give him the Primorye? Do you also give him the Gold? I'm excited for you. It is so much nicer to have a good working dog. And it's even nicer to see it all start to come together!!

If only he would have sat and waited for your signal/command on those jumps. A green would've been in your reach. If, woulda, shoulda. Utility is hard

patm is offline Senior Member

;D ;D ;D

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I'm so happy for you. ;D Sounds like Murray is getting much more confident!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Do you still give him the Primorye? Do you also give him the Gold?
    Yes and yes. In fact I just placed another order. ;D

I think this is the key to the changes I've seen in him recently. It has taken the edge off enough so he can concentrate on the job at hand.

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    I think this is the key to the changes I've seen in him recently. It has taken the edge off enough so he can concentrate on the job at hand.
    That is exactly what I have found with Caleb and myself!
    Susan

www.labmed.org