Saturday Novice A obedience results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saturday Novice A obedience results

Default Saturday Novice A obedience results

Well we are definitely still having problems. Amber was totally wound up and bouncing off the walls today. every start on heeling she would leap forward in zoomie mode and then wait for me to catch up after the first leap. I was beginning to wonder if she was going to buzz the ring. She managed to stay under control but just barely. A couple of her sits were a bit slow. she couldn't quite manage to stand still on the stand for exam and on the recall scooted forward a smidge and did her labra-missle recall with a crooked sit. the finish was very nice though. We even managed to lose a pt on the long sit because she kept moving her front feet. we ended up with a 189 and a 4th place so now my total pts for First and foremost top novice A dog is at 55pts.
    After we got back home I took her to Petsmart and worked her there for about an hour. I am hoping that being awake and working all day today (we walked around the show all morning and afternoon) will slow her down a smidge for tomorrow. I don'tknow what else to do to slow her down though I might get there early tomorrow and work her early in the morning to see if I can bring some more focus to her energy.
    I am really looking forward to agility next weekend to see what is going to happen there. I wonder when I have to check in and if I need to have my temporary height card with me because I am going in the 24" class? So many things to figure out and learn.. at least I figured out I don't have to start my agility runs when the computer voice says "ready" or "go". I seem to spend all my time trying to slow Amber down so I can have some control over her in practice. I feel like a 16 year old trying to drive a Ferrari or Porsche..lol We are fast as hell on the straightaways but might just lose control on any turn.
    We jumped 20 and 22 at class last week so this week we are going to jump 24 for the first time. I will set up some jump chutes for her also to help her get used to it. I wonder if I should let her run full speed or try and play it cautious to qualify? I worry about her on things like the dog walk because when she is wound up she runs across it at full speed. She is reckless on the courses in practice. I can only imagine if she really gets excited at a show.
    Thanks for letting me ramble on it helps me calm down and relax, I will post our final Novice A Obedience results tomorrow evening.

Kelly and Amber

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Saturday Novice A obedience results

I so understand! Caleb still will give me the look like he is going to butt tuck around the ring. Congrats on the fourth place!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Novice check-in is at 11:30 (you should have gotten an email with the judging schedule sometime this evening). You should come earlier to watch Excellent. USDAA in Fillmore will probably draw all of the really elite BCs, but us sporting dogs can still put on a pretty good show We've got 4+ Goldens, a couple of really cool Weimeraners, and sometimes a Viszla in 24" and in 20" there are some Labs and Tollers and a couple more Goldens.

Do you have the little white height card, or how many of the yellow forms? If you have the little white height card or 2 of the yellow forms you won't need to get measured. You can just go see the trial secretary (ask people where Lynda is), show her the card or the 2 forms, and she'll give you your sticker. If you only have 1 yellow form, you'll want to get a second measurement so that you can get a permanent height card.

Don't push her for speed, but don't do anything different than you do in practice. If you normally let her run full-speed in practice, do that at the show too. If she's a high-drive barking and spinning type and you're working more on control than speed, I'd recommend having her stay at the start line and on the table for slightly longer while you praise her, and if you have 2-on 2-off contacts then definitely hold those while you say "good girl."

I don't know how you normally give commands, but you might try giving your directional commands in a quiet but slightly firmer voice than normal. It seems to help Boo stay on course and help Dusty stay focused when he's on the edge of going zooming into tunnels. On straight sections of the course you can give commands in a pleasant but normal-pitch tone, or a happy high tone, depending on how much "oomph" your dog needs. But when you need your dog to listen to you, it sometimes helps to put a little more insistence in your tone. Not growling commands, just being a little more firm to keep the dog's head in the game.

One thing you should try to prepare is just work with one 24" jump, have her jump it from different angles and distances, and only reward if she clears it completely (dogs can't really tell the difference between ticking and knocking the bar). Doing that with Boo helped his jumping a lot.

If you have any more questions post on here, or you can look for me at the trial, I'm the only junior handler with a Golden or Lab around here. I'll be there from the beginning of Excellent to the end of Novice :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

All the trials around here (SC, GA, NC) the trial secretary generally asks that you attach a copy of your height card when you enter the trial. That way you never need to show your height card and can just show up and pick up your entry.

At our USDAA trial everyone must show their height card when they pick up their entries (like at 7:00 in the morning which really sucks if your class isn't until afternoon... God I hope they change the way they do this soon).

Good luck at both trials. Waiting to hear results.

Yeah they do that here too. Then the trial secretary keeps the copies on file so you only have to send the copy once.

I was just wondering about the height card because we are entered in 24" they can't make us jump any higher and it doesn't matter what height the dog is. I mean any dog can jump in the 24"class regardless of height is my understanding. though why someone would want to jump in a higher class I don't know. Also Amber isn't yet two years old so we have to wait till she is two to get our permenant height card I believe? Thanks for the info and hope to see you all there.

Kelly and Amber

AKC and NADAC require that the dog be 2 yrs old. USDAA is 3 yr old.

If you have 1 measurement for the 24" class, you can submit it to AKC for a permanent card which will expire on the dog's 3rd birthday or you can just hold on to it until then and submit it at that time. Make a copy of your card before you send it in though just in case it gets lost or in case you have other trials entered before you receive the official card.

I'm still using our temporary card. I've stood in line numerous times trying to get a 2nd measurement and none of the judges will measure us again. I was told once you have a measurement for the tallest jump height, you don't need any more measurements unless you want to challenge it (think the dog is shorter).

With the new rule changes, dogs with a single measurement above 22" who are younger than 2 can be issued a permanent height card at the owner's request.

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I assume that applies for dogs older than 2 as well?
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

Yes ... but I don't know if "at the owner's request" still applies to dogs older than 2 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast