Need "expert" opinion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need "expert" opinion

DefaultNeed "expert" opinion

I think I may have posted my question in the wrong forum. I put it in Lab Chat instead of Obedience. My question is whether a 48" crate is too big to take to shows. I just bought one for Jack because I think he is going to be really good at Rally and we might want to go to a show. However, it is HUGE! He slept in it last night, though, with the door open, so he seems to like it. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need "expert" opinion

Most of us who compete in any performance show get some type of collapsable. It isn't as much an issue of the size (though some trials do have limited crating) as much as the ease of carrying it. I have a light weight portable for trials that I can easily fold up and carry where ever I need it.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I have a #400 size collapsable/portable crate to take to shows. It folds into a big rectangle. I think my next portable crate will be of a kind that rolls into a cillinder and you can carry it over the shoulder (kind of like a lawn chair; I hope I'm making sense here).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think the 48" is probably too big based on the fact that Murray's crate is only 42" and it's pretty big.

I also use the soft crates (Noz2Noz). They are lighter and more manageable than wire or airline crates.

Murray has a 42"LX28"WX31"H crate (and he's a big boy at 24" and 90 lbs) but he can also comfortably fit in Essy's 36"LX24"WX27"H crate. The 42" gives him more room to stretch out but he's definitely not cramped even in the 36".

If I were crating a dog for long periods of time (like while I'm at work or something) I'd use the 42" crate so the dog had ample room to stretch out and move around but if I was just going to a show for a few hours, the 36" crate would be plenty big enough for most Labs

We only have outdoor shows here so crating space is never an issue, however, I have seen premiums for other indoor shows that say they have limited space and some that also ban soft crates so find out what is approved for the shows you will be attending.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Shouldn't matter. I bring the 48" Noz2Noz crate if I am going to pop 2 dogs in it at once. I bring the 42" if I am only taking 1 dog. Since they are so light, I hardly makes a difference.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I have a soft crate that folds up flat and is easy to carry and light weight (very important when you are hauling to shows . I don't think mine is any higher than three feet (36") and it may be a bit lower than that and about three feet long. Magnum and Ruger are both appx. 22" at the shoulder.

debjen is offline Senior Member

When I first started showing Riley if we were going to be there for any length of time I had to bring his 48 in wire crate because he would roll his light weight one. Now a days we use a 48" Noz to Noz....although I have to bring Robbie's plastic crate because he scratches himself out of the lightweight..LOL..luckily his crate is only a 200..*G*

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Just make sure you read your premium list - not all shows allow the soft crates.
    Kim

I've only seen shows that don't allow x-pens (limited indoor crating space) ... My dogs' soft crates are either 32" or 36" and I love them, I can carry both of them in one hand and have the other hand free for dogs or other stuff ...

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

Here in Michigan there are a small handful of shows a year that don't allow soft crates.
    I love my soft crates. I cannot remember the sizes of the ones I purchased at big lots. My Itz A Breeze Too crates I think is 27"W x 42"L x 30"H and my big 85lb boy fits in it comfortably.
    Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast