Private Lesson

Thread: Private Lesson

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultPrivate Lesson

Since we are done with our Utility classes with the MacDonalds until next year, I signed up for a couple of private sessions since we're entered at the Crown Classic. Today was our first and was it good! As Linda said, Caleb knows the exercises but he needs to be stressed, learn to work through it, that he can which results in his confidence being built more and more. All she did was stand on the other side of the baby gates--result--Caleb would not run out. She stood next to the jumps or leaned on them--result--Caleb would not jump. Walked around and around close to him on signals--result--Caleb tried to run in. By the end of the hour session we had major break through at this level. He stayed on the signals. He did the jumps. He did the go outs. So, over all a good lesson. Needless to say, he is sleeping now! She suggested I go to WalMart and do signals outside the door with all the people coming and going. Just might have to do that. Next show is a week from Thursday and Friday.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Private Lesson

I did stuff like that with Ruger for Open as well. It DOES help, a lot.

Also, you can put glove 3 and glove 1 out and send your dog for the go-out (directed jumping) he has to ignore the gloves. This helps them to differientiate the glove exercise from the directed jumping exercise.

Good luck at the show!!

BTW, the judge I had in Savannah, Mr. Cherubini, will be our judge at our trial in January too. He was very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by raian

Also, you can put glove 3 and glove 1 out and send your dog for the go-out (directed jumping) he has to ignore the gloves. This helps them to differientiate the glove exercise from the directed jumping exercise.

We do that! Now, with Caleb, it is getting better, but he so loves his gloves that he'll go get the glove and then finish the go-out. So, often times gloves are out for go-outs, articles, etc.

Thanks! I'll have to let you know how things went Sunday when I get home. I'll be staying in Cleveland with a friend of mine who lives about 5 minutes away from the IX Center.

We're still thinking about coming down. I know part of it will depend on how he does at the IX.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Hmmm...now having people on or near the jumps is something I've never tried.

I read on another forum to try having your dog do articles in a very dark room. It forces them to use their nose vs their eyes. I haven't tried it yet but it is an interesting concept.

Our next trial is this weekend. Aggghhh!!!
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Hmmm...now having people on or near the jumps is something I've never tried.

I read on another forum to try having your dog do articles in a very dark room. It forces them to use their nose vs their eyes. I haven't tried it yet but it is an interesting concept.

I had not had anyone next to the jumps, either, but sure blitzed Caleb's little brain!!!!

I just might have to try that dark room thing!

Do well this weekend!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Rarely will a judge stand by a jump, but I guess it's a good thing to proof for

In open, Ruger was having issues with going out to get the dumbbell (on the ROTF) because the judge was standing near the pile. So we proofed him and a friend of mine stood near the pile. Ruger went almost to the pile and stopped. My friend told me to get ahold of him by the collar and take him to the pile. When I grabbed onto his collar he bolted for the pile and pulled me right on top of him. I mean I literally fell on the boy. Scared him so badly he never refused running to the pile again, LOL. It was inadvertantly a great correction!

I do remember hearing about that! What a hoot!

You're correct that the judge usually does not stand there, but the more "different" things that become common place for them, the better--know what I mean?
    Susan

www.labmed.org