Back To Boot Camp

Thread: Back To Boot Camp

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultBack To Boot Camp

Ruger is back to basic boot camp.

Thank you Linda (Kona) for the suggestion about corrections for heeling offleash. Today I tied the leash around my waist and we heeled... beautifully. As soon as the leash came unclipped we heeled. He strayed about a foot away and I reached out and grabbed him by the lip and pulled him back to heel. He yelped. But after that... he stuck to me like glue AND his signals (down/sit/come) were impressively FAST and SNAPPY, even the down which he generally does in super SLOW motion.

If I have to, this dog will be lipless before our next trial. But his games are over. There will be no more leaving me. Compliance is mandatory.

Yep, mean momma trainer is here

Also worked on directed jumping / go-outs. I'm thinking because the ring looks "different" to him than our usual set up... I am not going to use my usual set up as often. Today I set up two agility jumps out in the field and had him run to his chuck-it/ball. Then, I took the chuck-it ball away. We worked on doing this for about twenty minutes and I would reposition the jumps so he was running out to different areas of the field. I want him to know that no matter where the jumps are he WILL run out between them about twenty feet.

Believe it or not he began picking this up. All of his tries were enthusiastic and fast. I know this dog can work. I whole-heartedly agree with whatthe judge told me on Sunday... that Ruger was just trying to see exactly what he could get away with. So I've buckled down and the praise and treats are not coming as quickly. He must be doing EXACTLY what I want.

I really need to keep this up. I know I get complacant and then he really takes advantage.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back To Boot Camp

I know there have been times when I have had to get a little "harder" with Caleb just so he knows that it is not an option but that he must do it! Usually he gets better from there. Guess they need the "reminder" every once in a while.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

They are just like kids. Let's see just how far we can push mom before she cracks.

Linda, one other tip. Don't make your go outs the same distance all the time. I sometimes have Murray run out 50' past the jumps. I don't want him to think that 20' is all he has to go. He needs to go until I tell him to stop.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Lydia, that is a good idea. Thanks! I will begin varying the distances as well.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Linda, I do that as well. Just like the day I was thrilled that Caleb actually ran from one side of my building into the next room to the other side of the building. Certainly further than 20 feet past the jumps.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org