Sunday Utility Results

Thread: Sunday Utility Results

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultSunday Utility Results

Well, we met our goal (of qualifying in at least one of the exercises).

Heeling/signals were abysmal at best (sorry for the spelling). I mean from the first footstep he was in la la land. He walked over to visit the judge, as I turned right, he went left to follow a scent in the air all the way to the other side of the ring and I had to call him to heel, and even then he wandered around the place. I coulda killed him. Signals, no go either. The brat. We had practiced right outside the ring, heeled all away around the outside of the ring, but could he do it in the ring??? Noooooo.

Scent articles were very nice. He did them both and Qualifyed in both parts of the exercise. The judge commented "Well, at least we know what exercise he DOES like" ;D

Gloves, we had #1 again. He did a beautiful pivot and went right out to the glove with purpose and speed, stopped, put his nose up in the air, caught a scent, stood there like a freakin' hound dog. I waited hoping the ole lightbulb would go on, but finally I had to tell him to "take it" and he did, he trotted back to me, and dropped the glove about three feet in front of me and I literally stared daggers at him. He picked the glove up and sat fairly straight and then gave it to me and finished with no problem.

Stand for exam was nice. He stood a little crooked but he stood and stayed, went straight to heel after and we Q'd on this exercise as well.

Directed Jumping/go-outs. The first go out... just like last weekend he didn't want to go. He trotted out to maybe one foot beyond the jump and turned and stood there looking at me. The judge said, "Well, let's get some training in... go ahead and send him out there." So I told him, "Ruger go touch," and he turned and went the rest of the way out, but he didn't go straight out, he went behind the bar jump. When he got to a point where he could jump that bar jump the judge quickly said, "BAR JUMP!" so I gave him the command and he did it. The next go out, I took my time setting him up and I marked him and revved him up good (I pinch him under the ear on the neck, sneaky but heh, it works). I stood up and the judge said, "Are you ready?" I said, "yes". Judge said, "send your dog". Ruger went out fast and happy but he ran to the corner where glove #1 had been. ARRRRRGGGGH. Of course that was the opposite corner from the high jump so he did not do the jump.

The judge was very nice and talked with me for about 20 minutes after our class. It was rainy/drizzly and cold and nobody else showed up for Utility A and he had to wait until 9:30 to start Utility B. So it was nice talking with him.

So, my goal had been to Q in at least ONE exercise, and we did it in two (technically three as the scent articles are a two-parter).

I will continue to work with the boy. I'm at my wits end with this heeling. He knows better. I've used a shark-line before but he still knows he's onleash no matter how sneaky I am with it. If anyone can offer some training ideas to kick his butt for offleash, let me know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sunday Utility Results

Linda, glad you were able to get on finally! One thing, make sure that your shoulder is not back when you are heeling in the ring. Often times if we think we are loosing our dogs, our left shoulder goes back, and for some dogs even if it is a slight movement back it will cause them to lag. Just one thought. Will continue to think on it.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Susan, this is not a matter of a small lagging problem. This is more blatant, like, he just doesn't want to heel period. It's embarrassing.

I wish I could go back, grab him by the collar make him heel a couple feet and then politely tell the judge, "thank you" and leave the ring but I'd most likely be banned from competition. In agility you can do this and get away with it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I have been known to grab Kona's loose cheek skin when he is out of heel position ............. doesn't hurt but does suprise him. I've also done the heeling practice with a light weight six foot leash around my waist and then did the same correction. I do not grab the leash at all ......... it is just to keep him close. I think I read in Diane Bauman's book that you need an off lead correction and that is what I use.

addition:

Forgot to say this!!! Congrats on the good articles and SFE ............. hang in there. He is still a young dog.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Linda, thanks for the idea of an off leash correction. Normally I've just grabbed his collar and given him a pop with it. I think grabbing him by the cheeks, or the loose skin under his neck would work with him. I'm going to try that.

Young dog, heh I have a feeling before this is over he'll be eleven, old and grey. I so want to finish him through UD. Just three times... just three to Q... don't you think he'd want to do it and be done with it ;D

lcspt is offline Senior Member

don't you think he'd want to do it and be done with it Grin
    Now why would he want this fun to be over?!! ;D You haven't told him that you and he are going for the UDX yet have you? Maybe then he'd hurry up and get that UD for you!! ;D ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

LOL, I know my dog and his limitations. There is no way he will do UDX or OTCH. I will be very happy to finish a UD on this dog. Perhaps my next dog will be UDX/OTCH material, but Ruger isn't.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

You are making good progress in just very limited showing. Hang in there. Experience is the best thing for a green dog.

I'm telling you from the minute I stepped into the Utility ring, Murray's heeling fell apart. I am very frustrated about it too. This is a dog whose heeling scores thru Novice and Open were excellent...rarely losing more than 3 pts. Now I often wonder if we'll even Q on heeling. : He lags, he heels wide. Grrr...

Thankfully heeling isn't a principle part of the exercise. If you are going to take the hit for the verbal command, make sure you make it worth your while. I use my mean mommy voice so Murray knows I mean business but if Ruger needs sugar and sweetness, use which ever voice gets you the best bang for your buck.

Let me know if you figure out how to fix the heeling issue. Murray doesn't lag in practice. In fact he's usually forged. Oh how I wish he would forge in a trial.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Along with grabbing the lips which does surprise them I have also put Caleb back on the fine pinch. He goes soooooooooooooo wide on his abouts that after one even slightly good correction he thinks more about it. I know my footwork is so important, too.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Unfortunately putting any collar back on Ruger does not help me solve the off leash issues. He knows immediately when that collar is on, and he's heeling like a world champ. As soon as the leash comes off, he knows it and he's horrible.

I think a few more lip pulls may just do the trick. Ruger will work hard to avoid a punishment, so I need to keep the punishment something he'll really try to avoid, without scaring him and shutting him down.

It's a fine line I must walk with this boy.