Stays. Help!

Thread: Stays. Help!

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultStays. Help!

I am pretty much at my wit's end.

As you know, we are having a hell of a time with stays. Especially sit stays, but really any stay.

I went to an obedience seminar yesterday. I will spare you the rehash of everything again, but if you'd like to read, here's the link:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,27002.0.html

Short version: I didn't really learn anything helpful.

It seems like Angus was better with stays several months ago than he is now. And the past few weeks it's become just a joke: He lasts maybe 10 seconds on a sit stay, then he's up. WTH Angus???

Here is some background, and a few thoughts on what may be causing the problem.

1) When Angus was young, I spent almost 90% of the time on his stays practicing distractions. Jumping around, dancing, throwing toys at him, throwing food on the ground, dancing, jumping jacks, whizzing past him as fast as I could. Now I am wondering if the problem is, he just doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing if I'm simply just standing there being quiet?

2) I recently started practicing "group stays" using Simon at the same time. This seemed to be going well for a while, but the past few weeks he really seems to have regressed.

3) Could it be the squeeze cheese is making him too excited and that's why he's breaking?

4) He has no trouble holding a stay for the recall.

5) Because he has started to shift a lot especially in the sit stay, and rise up out of position after a few seconds, I can't help but wonder if something is making him physically uncomfortable. I wonder if I should have him x-rayed and rule this out? But he can sit by Kevin's chair for several minutes without seeming like it's not comfortable...

6) OK, here is my latest plan: At the seminar yesterday, she mentioned something about marking the mistake. In other words, as soon as the dog makes a mistake, the exercise is stopped and they start over. I do this too. With everything...except stays! Hmmm? So, what I'm trying is, as soon as he moves, creeps, stands up, whatever, he is led out of the room while Simon finishes and gets rewarded. Then we will start over and he can try it again. This is opposed to returning to him, saying "eh eh," repositioning him, and then letting him have the reward when he holds it from there. I don't think I was making it clear to him that moving or getting up loses the reward for him. What do you think?

I am open to any little tricks you care to share. We talked about opposition reflex yesterday, but honestly, I just have a gut feeling that's not going to make a huge difference. However, I welcome your thoughts about this too, if you have any.

I also think if I could make him understand that the act of holding a stay IS actually DOING something, that would help. He does very well with stays when I am trying like hell to make him break, but I don't think the AKC will allow me to do jumping jacks in the ring.

TIA!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stays. Help!

I'm sorry you guys are having trouble with this. I'm such a dummy when it comes to offering suggestions. I can barely train Emilu and know how I did it. : I am thinking though, when you have trouble with anything, especially something that they used to do better - back track. Go back to standing very close to him and being able to correct immediatley - or not sitting as long and making sure you reward him before he brakes, and then try to make it longer and longer. Pretend that its a totally different excercise (not the one where mommy tries to make you break by providing diestractions) but rather the one where you sit still while mommy is also still. Give it a toally new name if you have to (I had to do this with Emilu and the recall excercise - come just wasn't getting it because I overuse the command on walks and stuff, a didn't reinforce it - so recall is now "vamos!" and we're doing much better) Angus is a smart dog, maybe he can learn to do a "new" sit/stay command in a dfferent way.

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Pat, that's not a bad idea!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Pat is correct, don't be afraid to back up to where you had success last. Also, sometimes if their anal sacs are acting up they don't like to sit. A friend of mine's Airedale refused to do a sit/stay and here she had infected anal sacs. Showed no other symptons.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

I agree with Pat..sounds like it's time to start back at the beginning...even start doing it on leash so you can give a correction if necessary...also as you lengthen the time remind him what he is doing with an occasional "Good Sit Stay"..

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

You might also start practicing this other places than on the floor. When I was going for the CDX, I would sit/stay Ruger on the beds, on the couch, in the Lazy-boy chair that rocks, etc. I made it extra hard for him.