My upcoming FIRST agility trial

Thread: My upcoming FIRST agility trial

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy upcoming FIRST agility trial

Well I did it I signed us up for a weekend show on the 16th and 17th of December. I have been practicing this whole time thinking I had a 20" dog and got a measurement last weekend and DAMN! she is 22 3/8" tall so we are in the 24" class. This gives me just shy of two weeks to get her accustomed to 24". I love a challenge. We are going to compete 4 days before the end of the year because I will enter a show on the last weekend of the year and that will give us a slim chance of getting a title this year for the lab club awards for 2006. I am kinda worried about entering her at a young age (20 months old) but she hasn't grown much if any in the last 6 months. She has weighed 65 pounds with no fat on her at all since she was about 14 months old. I guess I am trying to convince myself it is OK so what do you guys think?

Thanks

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

agilityretrievers is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My upcoming FIRST agility trial

Ugh, that stinks about the 22 3/8".

That sounds fine to me. You should probably be a little careful about jumping her, make sure the surface is good, no holes, it's not raining, etc, but she should be fine. ;D
    Katie, MACH Dusty NAP OJP AAD EAC OGC OJC RS-E GV-E JS-O CL4-R C-JrH CGC, and Boo AX OAJ

imported_agilitymom is offline Senior Member

It's much easier to earn a place in the 24" jump height. There are so many dogs in the 20" category and so many border collies. Make sure to start her back farther and give her lots of space to get momentum going and she should be fine. Maddie when she first went from 20 to 24 occasionally dropped a bar or two for a few weeks and then she acclimated. In my opinion it is far easier to be competitive in the 24" class. Good luck.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

In Novice and probably Open too, if you qualify you're likely to get a placement in any height. My Boo in 20" has a 2nd and a 1st for his 2 Q's, and my Dusty in 24" got placements in every run in Novice and Open. So don't worry about placing right now, just go have fun! ;D

(the bad part about 24" is that in some areas you still get the real hardcore World Team candidates jumping 24, but you don't have to worry about that for now ;D)
    Katie, MACH Dusty NAP OJP AAD EAC OGC OJC RS-E GV-E JS-O CL4-R C-JrH CGC, and Boo AX OAJ

Our first show is outdoors on some really nice soft thick grass and our second show is in a horse arena that was pretty soft too. It was the first agility show I even watched last year. I think most of the shows around here will be either on good grass or in a covered horse arena. I just got back from watching the AKC agility invitational today and that was run indoors on mats. I felt the matting and it seemed ok but a little stiffer than I would like to run on.
    Thanks for the reasurance.

Kelly and Amber (the future agility dog)
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Hey, when/where are the shows? I bet I'm going to the one towards the end of the year (Pomona?), and I sent an entry in for one in Walnut the 16-17 but I don't think the trial secretary got my entry

Who do you train with? (haha sorry for the interrogation but I just noticed you live near me :P)

Yes those are the two shows I am going to! I just barely got my entry in in time for Walnut. I entered online through www.dogeventsonline.com. I train with Barbara Mah for about a year (she lives just around the corner) and I also go to Tracy Tennisons for some more practice and for some Obedience work (just found her recently).

Kelly and Amber

Ah I love Tracy Tennison's dogs! ;D

I will see you at Pomona, and hopefully Walnut. I'm thinking my entry for Walnut got lost in the mail, since I entered a show this weekend in the same envelope and haven't gotten a confirmation for either > If I'd figured it out yesterday I could have entered it on dogevents online, but oh well.

Apparently they found our entry, so we'll be there at Walnut;D I'll be in 20" Novice with a black Lab (and 24" Excellent with a Golden if you're there that early). Not sure how much of Pomona we'll be entering, but at least a couple days. Pomona is pretty much my favorite trial site ever, since check-in is never until 10 or so :P