Worked Out With The Police Today

Thread: Worked Out With The Police Today

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultWorked Out With The Police Today

Since I was not able to work Ruger yesterday (rainy and high winds) I HAD to get him someplace today (we show tomorrow). I really wanted to go someplace we never went before, so I on a chance, I swung the truck into the new town hall and the parking lot was empty, so I set up there.

As we were getting warmed up, the Ambulance bay opened, and the Ambulance came out. I had Ruger in a stand/stay as I was ready to do signals. Thankfully the ambulance guys were very nice and drove slowly by and did not blow the siren. I did the down, and he did it even while watching the ambulance. As the ambulance passed and he glanced at me, I gave him the signal to sit and HE DID IT! I think this is paying off. I've noticed a big improvement in signals this week.

Then we started working articles and two cop cars came whizzing in. Cops do not drive slow. Anyway, they parked and the one car must've had it's radio on so it broadcast outside the car. I could hear the dispatcher loud and clear (as could Ruger) but he worked the pile and got the correct article the three times I sent him.

We did a little more heeling since that cop car was such a distraction, and then I put the gloves out. The cop finally turned off his car and a third cop drove in and although they were all standing by their cars talking, they were also watching me work Ruger. His first go to glove #1 was perfect. I sent him to #3 next and he went for #2 but I stopped him, helped him line up #3 again and he did it. Then we did #1 again. Then #3 again. Then #2... and he did them all.

Cop car with loud radio left quickly.

We set up for stand for exam. He was standing out there by himself when cop cars 2 and 3 left quickly as well. (And drove past us within 20 feet. I was worried but Ruger did even seemed phased by it). I called him to heel and he did.

We then did the go-outs and he did very well, but we had no distractions for these, the parking lot was once again "ours".

I think, under the circumstances, it was an excellent workout today.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow. My goal is NOT lofty. All I want is to qualify in one exercise. Just one. That way I know something is working right

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Worked Out With The Police Today

Wow, that does sound like quite a work out!!!! Good boy Ruger!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I was really kinda proud of him. I knew the cops were watching and I think they were impressed They didn't run me off anyway, and they could have, I suppose.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

I have some police officers who come in and they are impressed with what we do. Even have a man who use to train police dogs, but injured himself that he can't anymore. I must admit, I do get a lot of referrals from him!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Sounds like you had a really good day It's kinda fun to be working your dog somewhere and have people watching - you know they have to be impressed because most people don't train their dogs at all. I even take advantage of waiting at the vets to work a little (they have a jar of soft treats on their counter). Talk about distractions! Emilu loves to greet everybody and every dog while at the vets.

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Wow.......what a set of distractions and what a good boy he was!!!!!!!!

Frances

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

That sounds like an awesome place to practice. ;D

We train at a local park and the police are always stopping by to watch. It does make you nervous when they first drive up though.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE