Back To The Breeders He Goes

Thread: Back To The Breeders He Goes

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultBack To The Breeders He Goes

Well, to practice that is ;D Today's session was back at our breeders, but I set up in a different location. I really don't like working there because it's very tight. They have a lot of land (about 8 acres) but he's in the nursery business and there is junk, trucks, equipment, plants everywhere. So I set up with a dog kennel in front of my truck (she built a nice puppy area by the nursery) and the big dog kennel was to our back but on the left side. The highway was still overhead behind us.

I was working Ruger, doing hand signals, when he suddenly wouldn't look at me but he was still down and that tail was just sweeping back and forth like crazy. I glanced over and saw Helen walking over. Well, I tried to get a sit signal in, but no go. He was zoned in on his "first momma!". So I released him and he literally mauled her (I'm so embarrassed). After I got a leash on him and settled him down (Oh, by mauled I mean with love, kisses, flea bites, and of course jumping all over her!) we went back to work and she went up to the office.

It was a decent workout today. Gloves were our weakest link today he missed #1 once, and all the other times he did go to the gloves, but he was hesitating out there and watching the trucks up on the highway overpass, but then he'd take the glove and come back to me (without any extra cues on my part) so I know he IS thinking.

Articles were to die for today. He loves this exercise best. Aced them every time out.

Go-outs were so-so. He did them but not with his usual energy/focus. These were the last thing we worked on today and we had worked for about an hour, and it was hot and muggy with gnats, so I think he was just getting tired. We still worked through it and he did it, but it wasn't anything to get excited about.

At the end I put him back on leash and just practiced heeling. God, how I wish we could do Novice again. His heeling on leash is dead on!!! I wish I could get the same out of him offleash.

Finished up by going up to the office to thank Helen, and to apologize for letting Ruger loose on her She just laughed about it. She then said "Alan was so impressed, he said to me 'that blonde lady out there is doing things with her dog that I just can't believe! My dogs would never work that well!". Alan is their foreman. He had been loading one of the work trucks while I was doing gloves and articles I said to Helen, "To bad Alan is not an AKC judge!!!"

An hour and 15 minutes later Ru is back in the swimming pool at home having fun

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back To The Breeders He Goes

Cracks me up about him and his breeder! Sunday will be here all too soon. I'm sure things will go better for you in the ring!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian

Articles were to die for today.* He loves this exercise best.* Aced them every time out.
    Is this the same dog who didn't want to do them more than twice?* * I think once they understand the exercise and gain some confidence in what they are doing they all love this exercise.* It lets them use their brain.* *;D* Murray will do articles as many times as I'm willing to set them out there.* Same with gloves.

I know what you mean about Ruger mauling the breeder.* When Essy and Meghan finished getting their ribbons this weekend, Essy heard the breeder outside the ring.* She took off running, almost pulled Meghan off her feet, and jumped the ring gate to go see the breeder.* I'm just thankful Essy didn't hear her speak while she was competing.*
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Caleb loves the gloves and articles, too. Like Murray, he'd do them as long as I would allow! It sure does help with confidence. Like I said, training so difficult that the ring looks easy! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! ;D ;D : :P
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org