Parking Lot Workout!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parking Lot Workout!

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultParking Lot Workout!

Well a fellow club member told me she goes to this certain parking lot to practice. Today I had decided on going to a local park, but I drove right by this particular parking lot and scoped it out, and yes indeed it was a great place to practice as it's very secluded even though it's right in the middle of a strip mall.

So, we set up there and all I can say is WOW, Ruger worked very well today!! We did some onleash heeling first to get him used to the area, then we did off leash and he lagged a bit the first go, but we did it again and he was much better. Signals were good today. Not perfect, he was still slow, but he DID them, even the dreaded sit (which has been taking me a double command). I have slowed down my sit signal to give his little brain more time to think. We did it three times, and he got it three out of three!

We worked on scent articles and man oh man was I proud. I used ALL of my articles (I have six extra) and spread them way out for one go so he really had to work them, and bless his heart, he really did, taking his time to examine every one, and then he got the correct one. We set up again, this time I pushed the articles closer together but made it hard for him and put the scented one a bit farther out. Again, he ran to the pile, got in there and started working, even stepped on two of them and flipped them up on end but he backed off the pile and sniffed them flipped up, and I really didn't think he'd get that one stuck out to the side but he finally went over to check that one and immediately brought it back. We set up one more and sent him again, once again he got in there and really worked that pile. At one point he did get distracted by something and stopped and looked into the weeds (didn't move, just looked for a moment) and I thought, "oh no, now his brain has disengaged", but he dropped his head and went back to work, found the article and brought it in. Three for three!

We worked on directed jumping next. Three go-outs. His first was fast, straight, nice sit, over the bar jump. Beautiful. His second was wide to the left but he circled in to the center to sit decently, high jump, another passable go. Sent him once more and the third time out was a bit less enthusiastic (I could just see him thinking "but mom, I've done this already!") he slowed down when he got about even with the jumps and I really thought he was going to turn and sit there and give up, (which he has a tendenacy to do when he thinks he's done) but his brain kicked in and he picked up the pace and continued out to the center, nice sit, bar jump again, good job.

We set up for gloves next. The first pivot to glove #1 was nice but he ran to #2 and took it. I did not make a fuss but had him run back to me (no treat). I've been having a little bit of an issue when he's wrong (and I correct him) he doesn't want to come back to me at all (even when he has the correct glove) so it's something I'm striving to keep happy for him. We did glove #1 again, and this time BIG DISTRACTION... a sprinkler system came on!!! Well he kinda jerked his head in the direction of the nearest sprinkler head, but he went out and got the glove (which was pretty close to another sprinkler head!). We then worked the other gloves a few times and called it a day.

A pretty decent forty minute training session!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Parking Lot Workout!

Wow! You guys are making real progress and very quickly too. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Great Linda!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lydia, Ruger really works well for me in most of our practice sessions. Where we are dying is at an actual show. And I really am hoping that by taking him to all these different places it will help him realize that as long as the "ring" look familiar he'll know what to do and settle in and not worry about the other surroundings.

I really don't know what else to do to help him.

That is one of the philosophies of the trainers I train under--make the training sessions so challenging that the ring looks easy thus helping to build confidence.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

That is one of the philosophies of the trainers I train under--make the training sessions so challenging that the ring looks easy thus helping to build confidence.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Susan

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Susan must have REALLY wanted to get that point across.

Are all of your trials indoors? Is there anywhere you can train indoors (ie Petsmart)? I'm not sure how Murray would do indoors. Yes, outdoors has its own challenges but I would think the indoor noise would be deafening.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Yes, I too think Susan REALLY wanted me to get that point ;D

Most of our trials are indoors. There is no place to train indoors. Our club has classes indoors on Wednesday nights, but I work and cannot attend them.

Savannah this weekend is an outdoor show.

Surprisingly he does better at Indoor shows even though we never train indoors. He was a hoot the first time in Novice. He had NEVER seen let alone walked on a mat. He dropped his nose to the ground and kept it there for the first entire heeling pattern. But we did qualify

Are you two making fun of me?! Can you tell what impressed me?! Ok, I'm a little slow!
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast