Fri, Sat, Sun results

Thread: Fri, Sat, Sun results

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

DefaultFri, Sat, Sun results

We started off on Friday by getting up at 2:30 AM and hitting the road by 3 Am we arrived in Buckeye Az. at 7:20 AM right on schedule....except I forgot Arizona doesn't have a time change..DOH!!! We still had plenty of time though. I had aired and warmed up Amber early and as they were giving awards in the class before mine I got Amber out again to warm her up and get ready As she came out of the crate she was limping on her front right foot!!! @#$%! So I checked her pads and felt her joints and everything for tenderness and found nothing. I then just walked her around for a minute and she was still limping and not putting her foot down while she sat. I figured she must have gotten something in her pad or between her pads and tried to find it but still nothing. She was just barely limping at this point so I just walked her around for a few minutes. It was time to go in by now so I went in with no warm up. Before everyone jumps on me for taking an injured dog into the ring I have to point out that I was certain by this point that the injury was just from the grass around the ring, it was very very stiff and sharp all dried out and about 2-3 inches tall. When we went into the ring she sat to start our on leash heeling and then stood right back up I told her to sit again and she did. That was the last sit I would get from her for two days on the heeling patterns. The Arizona grass was just to pokey for her lab butt.. And she wasn't the only one either No sits ran rampant through the rings all weekend even into the utility B rings. At least one open dog wouldn't retrieve after getting poked in the nose by the grass. we ended up getting a 190 1/2 on Friday a 187 on Saturday and 195 on Sunday after I finally figured out how to get her to sit on this "grass" The judge on Sunday even commented that one of the exhibitors should have brought some Sod for the ring to give the dogs a chance. We got first place all three days but by Sunday no other Novice A dog bothered to show up (I think word of the ring conditions made it around) So I had to do my "group" on Sunday alone. One hyperactive yellow lab sitting in a ring as three people stare at her (the judge, the steward, myself). Then the long down.. I must say that my dog doesn't just lay quietly on a long down she is very very active. She looks at everything she airscents she gives the surrounding grass a quick once over she shifts her hips to the other side and repeats. Picture a three year old kid the day after Halloween and three cokes and a bunch of candy trying to sit still while all the other kids are playing and you get a good idea of Amber doing a down stay. I think it is torture that they make us Novice people watch our dogs on the groups. I am so looking forward to the bliss of not knowing, of the Open Groups. Both the judge and the steward let out a big sigh of relief when I returned back to Amber and the judge could say "exercise finished".

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fri, Sat, Sun results

Congrats on your runs this weekend .......sorry the grass was so sharp and pokey!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

debjen is offline Senior Member

congrats to you both

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Congrats on a good weekend!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

Congrats!! It sounds like you guys really did a good job under adverse conditions. I have already decided that at this point, I'm not showing Emilu in any outside shows (although I've yet to see one here in Ohio). She HATES to sit on the grass while we work. And this is a dog who LOVES the outside and goes out in all kinds of weather. But SIT ON GRASS? You kidding mom?! Or lay down on wet grass - you kidding?!

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

CONGRATULATIONS! Pokey grass! Who would have thought of such a thing?????

Frances

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, I'm sorry about the grass. That is awful. I hope the show managers get enough complaints to do something about the grass or the location next time. Sounds like you still managed to do wonderful!!! Great scores. Nice job!!!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kzunell
    Picture a three year old kid the day after Halloween* and three cokes and a bunch of candy trying to sit still* while all the other kids are playing and you get a good idea of Amber doing a down stay.
    HA! Loved that description. You guys were great! I think everyone backed out of the classes once they saw how good you were. It was nice meeting you in person. So sorry I didn't have a lot of time to chat.

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Wow, I'm sorry about the grass. That is awful. I hope the show managers get enough complaints to do something about the grass or the location next time.
    HA! They had some beautiful green grass at the site but they used THAT as the parking lot. : I've already heard that the Jan shows are most likely going to be even worse conditions. They plan to plow up and irrigate the field we were on before the Jan shows. That means we won't even have pokey grass to work on (it's too late to plant Rye, and the Bermuda is dormant for the winter). I will be keeping close tabs on this because of the high incidence of Valley Fever here. I don't know of anyone who will show their dogs in dirt out there.

This facility has become the facility of choice for all the AZ dog shows. All of the shows (including agility and ASCA) are held here. The big show that happens at the beautiful West World facility is also rumored to be moving here for 2008. :'( The issue for most of the shows is parking and facility costs and this facility is larger and less expensive. This facility has a lot of potential but still needs a lot of kinks worked out. The first agility trial held there was run on pea gravel.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE