Sun results - what a weekend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun results - what a weekend

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultSun results - what a weekend

What a weekend.* I learned SO much about scoring this weekend.

Meghan and Essy got a bumper leg in Rally Advanced.* They tied for 2nd with an 88 but ended up taking 3rd due to time. First place was Beagle with a 98.* * ;D* The course was difficult/confusing in the set up but not in the actual exercises. It had the teams passing signs the first time only to come back to them on a 2nd pass, it had very tight areas to perform exercises and areas where there was so much space they heeled across the entire ring before getting to a station.* Meghan would have had a 91 and 2nd but Essy knocked over a cone as they exited the straight weave and started the 270 left.* There just wasn't enough room between the last cone of the weave for Essy to manuever her fuzzy butt around for the 270.* I wasn't sure how that would be scored since she had completed the exercise.* I talked to the judge afterwards and she said it was a 3 pt deduction for the knocked cone.*

Murray had another nice utility run.* It was so hot by the time we got in the ring that I wasn't sure he would work at all.* It took a lot of coaxing to get him from one exercise to the next but he did them all.* The signals were perfect.* We lost 5 pts but I'm sure the majority of that was for heeling (he was laggy again).* On the first article I told the judge we would send after a sit.* When we pivoted, Murray didn't sit.* He just stood there.* I waited and waited and waited.* I really wasn't sure what to do.* Was it an NQ for a no sit?* Would the judge call "exercise finished?"* All of this was racing thru my mind then the very nice judge finally said "it's just points, send him."* ;D* We lost 3 1/2 pts on that one and 2 pts on the next one (for mouthing most likely).* The directed retrieve gods smiled upon us again and we got glove 2.* We lost 1 1/2 pts most likely for fronts and finishes.* Moving stand we lost 1/2 pt.* The first go out was very nice, straight and fast but he stood there.* He took the bar jump but ticked it (it didn't fall).* The second go out was straight and fast...directly to the left corner of the ring in front of the bar jump. : Outside the ring one of the other competitors told me afterwards that they were placing bets that Murray would take the correct jump because he was an agility dog.* I signaled high but he took the bar.* We NQd on the last $#&*@()$ exercise.* * That really hurt.* It was OK though.* Murray worked really well for me all weekend and now I know he can do this.* His attitude is coming back so overall I was extremely pleased with him.*

While we were in the Utility ring, they completed the jumpers runs.* I walked over to agility and saw the course was still set up though.* The really nice judge let us run.* Of course we knocked a bar and Murray refused the weaves but he got right back in.* We NQd but Murray's attention was on me so I was very pleased with the run.* They were already walking std at that time so I ran over to that ring and walked it a couple of times.* Soon it was our turn.* Murray ran beautifully. Again he refused the weaves but got back in on the 2nd attempt.* The last sequence was a jump, a double jump, to a tunnel.* Believe me, I was holding my breath thru that entire sequence.* We finished clean and well under time to take 1st place, High Scoring Dog for that class, and finish our NAP title.* ;D* I forgot to take a picture though.* * We got back to our setup and my daughter was eating a hamburger.* She made the mistake of setting it down for 1/2 second and Murray grabbed it wrapper and all in the blink of an eye.* A friend and I grabbed Murray's mouth and pulled the wrapper out but I let him have the burger.* *I NEVER allow him to have food he steals but he so deserved that burger.* Another friend who was sharing our set up was in total shock.* The look on her face was priceless. She said " Did he eat the entire burger without chewing?" HAHAHA.* She doesn't have Labs.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sun results - what a weekend

WOOHOO!!! Oh I'm sitting here just smiling BIG TIME. I'm thrilled for you and Murray. Congrats on the NAP. Open is harder, you only get one fault and the course time is quicker

And what a WONDERFUL go in utility!!!! That must've been a heartbreaker on the last jump, but I'd be so thrilled anyway. This is from a dog you were ready to hang up to dry last week. I can't get over it and I'm so proud that you're continuing with him!!!!

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    She doesn't have Labs.
    * WHAT A HOOT!* Nope, she does not have a Lab!!!! ;D

Ok, congrats on the new agility title!* That is wonderful for the dog who almost was retired from agility! ;D

Sounds like the Utility run was better,too, even though he lost it on the last thing.* That is so frustrating, but over all sounds like it is getting better!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

OK ladies.* Don't get TOO excited.* I never said I wasn't still retiring Murray from agility.* It's still a very real possibility.* As Linda said, Open is harder...faster times, fewer allowances for issues, 12 weaves vs 6...the list goes on and on.* I still have to decide if we're going to the USDAA trial next weekend.* We don't need any legs there (well we do but we need 3 so I've got nothing to lose but the entry fee if I choose not to show).* I'm not going to train in Dec.* We'll see how things are going in Jan before I make a final decision.* I plan to just hang out in Novice and try to get the attitude back. If the attitude comes back, we'll continue on otherwise he's retired.

Also forgot to mention that not only did Meghan and I get titles, a friend finished his UDX with his Collie, and another training buddy took HIT 2 out 3 days.* She tied for HIT on Sat and lost the run off to...Louise Meredith.* I sure was glad I didn't have to judge that run off.* Who boy.* Tough competition.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I'm so glad that this weekend ended on such a good note for you and Murray. ;D Congrats on the new agility title and better attitude in the Utility ring ........... sorry he NQ'ed on the last thing. :P
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

debjen is offline Senior Member

Glad things are looking better this weekend

agilityretrievers is offline Senior Member

Yay Murray! Congrats!

If he's in good enough condition to jump full competition height, you could work through your regular NA/NAJ titles before moving up to Open, I think it's more fun when you have a title to work toward ;D
    Katie, MACH Dusty NAP OJP AAD EAC OGC OJC RS-E GV-E JS-O CL4-R C-JrH CGC, and Boo AX OAJ

Quote Originally Posted by agilityretrievers

If he's in good enough condition to jump full competition height, you could work through your regular NA/NAJ titles before moving up to Open, I think it's more fun when you have a title to work toward* ;D
    I know a lot of people who do that. We aren't serious agility competitors though. We just do this for fun. The titles are just icing on the cake. I won't jump Murray full height in any venue, particularly USDAA where he'd be required to jump 26". Labs are heavy bodied dogs, not built light and lean like Border Collies, and I think asking them to jump full height multiple times is too hard on their bodies, particularly their front legs and shoulders. Murray is a rescue. He's not built like a compact Lab like Essy. He's very tall (24") and has a long body in relation to his height so I worry about the strain this puts on his back. He has had a couple of back injuries during his career requiring him to be side lined for several weeks at a tmie so he goes reguarly to a kinesiologist now. I keep him in top condition and I keep him lean and mean (he weighs between 88-90 lbs). When you think about the BCs who weigh half as much at only 35-40 lbs jumping the same height as Murray who weighs 90, it really puts things in perspective. Really my main goal for Murray is to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as possible and enjoy our relationship along the way. ;D

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

Murray is 24" and 90lbs?

Wow....Zeke is 24" and 67lbs. Just goes to show that there can be a lot of weight variance....
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

agilityretrievers is offline Senior Member

Oh, yes, that definitely makes sense then. Full-height is not good for large-boned dogs, especially when they're kept towards or above the upper end of the standard for weight (I think the standard is 65-80?). If you don't plan to show him in conformation then I might suggest taking weight off him until you can lightly press down and feel his ribs and his pelvis bones near the base of his tail. I still would not jump 26" because I'm assuming he's pretty large-boned, but he'd probably move a lot better and it might even help his back problems.

Most of those 35-40 pound Border Collies jumping 24" are not really 22" or above, I've only come across 5 or 10 purebred BCs who actually measure into 24" ...
    Katie, MACH Dusty NAP OJP AAD EAC OGC OJC RS-E GV-E JS-O CL4-R C-JrH CGC, and Boo AX OAJ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast