Help Please before our Utility Debut

Thread: Help Please before our Utility Debut

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultHelp Please before our Utility Debut

Okay, I know now is not the time to train, but hand signals are going to kill us. Which might be a good thing... NQ right off the bat and then just have fun in the class

But anyway... Ruger is very S L O W on the down, so slow that not only will it lose us points, but I think being so slow hampers his entire attitude on the exercise (meaning he doesn't want to do the sit immediately or at all).

My question is.. how can I correct for a slow down without physically walking back to my dog and shaking his yellow furry butt into the ground? I'd love to put a long line on him and pop him one, but I think that would be counter productive and get him to either move forward or get back up instead of going down.

Today I stayed closed to him and played a "fast down" game, initally sweeping his front legs out while telling him to down until he got faster at it. Immediately his sit improved as well, very snappy and on the first try.

The signals are killing us. Any ideas or training tips helpful. Remember, the majority of the time I train alone, so I have to be inventive (i.e., don't tell me to have someone stand behind him to correct him... I don't have anyone around to do that).

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help Please before our Utility Debut

Did you ever use a bean bag when teacing the DOR? I have thrown that or a chain at the ground in front of Kona to speed up the drop.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Yes, and it didn't work. He stopped doing downs at all. He was very slow in DOR as well. But he did them. I just think if I can speed it up it will make the sit better. I'm 95% sure he will down, given enough time for him to think. Then he gets stuck on the sit and it takes me two signals. doh! I've just been noticing that if I can get a fast down, he usually gives me a fast snappy sit on the first signal.

I dunno... this may never all come together!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

One of the things we do that helps build attitude and speed on the signals and verbal is throw cheese a short distance and tell them to get it. After they have it, call them too you and then throw another piece the other direction and tell them to get it. Do this a few times and then give the verbal or signal to drop. If they are slow go in and correct. But, it does help build speed, attitude and helps force them to watch us.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Thanks Susan. I'll give that a try. The boy loves his cheese so maybe this will speed things up a bit And definitely make the exercise fun for him as well