The time has come to make a decision...

Thread: The time has come to make a decision...

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe time has come to make a decision...

The premium list for our January trials has just been released.

Gulp.

We don't have to have our entries in until January 10th, but I am feeling the pressure to start making up my mind.

Simon is doing so well. I think he could handle all the Novice Obedience exercises. We haven't tried Figure Eights yet, but I really don't think he'd have a terrible time with those. Otherwise, I trust him completely on all.

BUT...

It might be different if I couldn't talk to him and keep encouraging him to stay at heel. He does lag a little bit. And I do have to make rather large-ish gestures for his finishes. Not so much the right, but more for the left.

I think he would do well in Rally. He's been practicing everything right along with Angus. The only thing that gives him a tiny bit of a problem is the Left 270 or 360. He has just recently begun to understand the left turn, but hasn't mastered getting his butt around for the others.

Angus...

Definitely still not ready for Novice Obedience. : He had been doing great on his stays, then last night he got up about 30 seconds into the down stay. I still am not 100% confident in him. Really, really too bad, because otherwise he kicks ass. Except for a bit of a tendency to forge. But it's just like a head's length, and he is looking up into my face the whole time, drawing admiring comments from onlookers. ;D His attention is beautiful.

Rally Advanced is the other possibility for him. He can certainly do all the exercises. For Excellent, too. But we haven't practiced much off-leash. :-\ I also worry about him with those black and white jumps. The white one he handles just fine, but I think he has trouble recognizing the B&W ones.

I'm kind of scared. I don't know what to do. I feel like I don't know who is really ready for what. And whether I should try to show both of them. And should I show two in one day, or should I split the time between them and do Angus two days, SImon two days? If I do it that way, I won't be getting any titles.

Also, here's another question:

I have now earned an RN. So, if I enter Simon in Rally Novice, it would be B, correct?

But if I enter Angus in Rally Advanced, it would be A, correct?

And if I enter either of them in Obedience, it would be A for either, correct?

Well, if anyone feels like giving me some sage advice on this, I'm all ears!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: The time has come to make a decision...

I have now earned an RN. So, if I enter Simon in Rally Novice, it would be B, correct?

But if I enter Angus in Rally Advanced, it would be A, correct?

And if I enter either of them in Obedience, it would be A for either, correct?
    Correct. Correct. Correct

Keep proofing your stays. Try to make him make mistakes so you can correct him. I would keep working on them right up to the trial, and I'd enter him in Novice A (Angus that is).

Simon .. enter him.

Then again, it's really really difficult to show both dogs in Novice A (you need someone to do the sits and downs with you)

Go for Rally as well.

I'm all for going... I know I've gone to many a show when we weren't really ready, but it's my only indicator for what we have to continue to work on (as I train alone and don't attend classes).

I'm not much help, am I ;D

No, you are a lot of help! That's very encouraging!

I have sort of fantastized about entering them both in Novice Obedience. I got their CGCs on the same night. I have even asked Kevin if he would do sits and downs. I think that might tickle him. Of course, he would take Simon, the easy one

Connie and "The Boys":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

You have enough time to work on those areas that need work. I would go ahead and enter!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I agree with Susan. Jan is a long way away...plenty of time to work on problem areas.

For Simon's finishes, I wouldn't worry about the size of the gesture (especially in rally) as long as he knows what it means. Also wean him off the chatter and on to your smile. Smiles won't cost you any points.

As for Angus, if he is forged by a head length then you are still ok. Remember heel position is anywhere between his nose and his shoulder. I try to keep right at Murray's ear but if he forges ahead (in my dreams ) so I'm lined up with his shoulder, we are still in heel position. Lately its been huge lags (almost a body length at times) so forging would be my dream come true. What judges don't want to see is that you are using the ear as heel position, then the shoulder, then the nose, etc. Heel position has to be one spot. Pick that spot and stick with it throughout the entire performance.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

What judges don't want to see is that you are using the ear as heel position, then the shoulder, then the nose, etc. Heel position has to be one spot.
    OH WOW! I did not know this! That makes me feel much, much better. He is consistent...I guess my pants seam would be lined up with his shoulder. Towards the back of his shoulder. I'll have to see exactly where next time.

I thought that their ear had to be right on your pants seam. Simon's is.

Connie and "The Boys":

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngusFangus
    He is consistent...I guess my pants seam would be lined up with his shoulder. Towards the back of his shoulder.
    I wouldn't line up with the back of his shoulder. The front of the shoulder would be ok but the back would make the judges think and scrutinize. The cardinal rule of obedience is "don't make the judge think."
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

OK I will have to check and see exactly where he is. It's probably the back of his shoulder. :-\

I really need to fix this. It's fine for Rally, but I'm letting him develop bad habits that will count against him in obedience.

Connie and "The Boys":