Practice at the Elementary School (Utility)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practice at the Elementary School (Utility)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultPractice at the Elementary School (Utility)

Today I hauled Ruger out to a local elementary school. Boy, I just don't know. The littlest things distract him. He caught the scent of something in the air and wouldn't look at me for nothing! I had to call his name to get his attention so I could give him the hand signals. I'm getting bad about holding my "sit" signal too long. He did the scent articles, gloves, stand for exam all perfectly. Our problem area seems to be the hand signals (which are our worst problem right now, he's so inconsistant with them) and go-outs. Although go-outs are getting progressively better. He did all the go-out's today but wouldn't take the bar jump on two occassions (it was very close to my truck).

I'm getting a bit nervous about next Sunday... but I'm determined to go and have fun with it and see what we do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Practice at the Elementary School (Utility)

Keep at it with demanding his attention. Kona had the same problem especially if the judge was any where near him!! ;D Kona is much better at keeping his attention on me now. I have seen alot of utility (and open) dogs get distracted and miss signals. Good luck on Sunday on your debut.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    I had to call his name to get his attention so I could give him the hand signals.* I'm getting bad about holding my "sit" signal too long.*
    That's the same issue one of my training buddies had. I told her to do her signals with a tennis ball in the signal hand. Have him down, toss the ball. Have him down, then sit, then toss the ball. Keep mixing it up. Also use smaller and smaller balls. It's amazing the attention you can get with a ball crazy dog. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lydia, I do use his ball. But he's smart and he knows the difference when he's in a real situation and when we are practicing. It's frustrating.

His down is so S L O W.. but he does it. His sit sometimes doesn't come until a second command. We will just keep working on these things and hope eventually it will all gel.

Just wanted to add, using any ball OTHER THAN his ball will not work. He knows his ball and he only focuses on it. He's weird about his ball. The turd. :

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Why don't you become the distraction. When you are across the ring from him, walk around a little and then square off and give him the signal. Attention is so important in Utility and the signals, according to a number of judges is the most NQ'd exercise. If he misses one "HEY YOU! YOU WATCH ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PAY ATTENTION TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I will even throw food, let Caleb chase it and do random signals. Now, what Caleb will to me periodically is look right at me and just keep looking like he did not see a thing. Know he does cause then his tail begins to wag. Snot!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Good idea Susan. I will start doing that down in the field as we play. It certainly can't hurt!

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    [Now, what Caleb will to me periodically is look right at me and just keep looking like he did not see a thing.* Know he does cause then his tail begins to wag.* Snot!
    HA! Yep...Murray has looked right through me too.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    [Now, what Caleb will to me periodically is look right at me and just keep looking like he did not see a thing.* Know he does cause then his tail begins to wag.* Snot!
    HA!* Yep...Murray has looked right through me too.
    Don't you just hate that?! I can deal with the attention thing but when he begins to wag his tail...............................
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

I can deal with the attention thing but when he begins to wag his tail...............................
    Isn't that when we know they have a sense of humor?!!!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast