Magnum's Classes

Thread: Magnum's Classes

DefaultMagnum's Classes

Well we made it through the class tonight. The instructor wondered if I have ever considered using a prong collar. I really don't want to ,but if it helps that might be the best. Any thoughts ? He is a year old and was first trained on a gentel leader. So what are everyone's thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Magnum's Classes

I use a prong on Skippy for walks in public and it works really well for us. Skippy was never really trained a lot in obedience and this way I have a dependable dog to walk when we go out (by the way, I think that a corretly used and fitted prong doesn't hurt a dog at all and Skippy lOVES his because it means he's going somewhere) When I got Emilu I decided that I didn't want to start her on a prong becuase I knew that I was going to take her to obedience classes and I thought I'd do it "right", with a chain collar. We took about 6 months lessons in basic obedience with the chain collar, and I thought we were doing pretty good, but when I changed places and started taking advanced obdience, they put almost all the dogs in prongs at first, and then wean them. It really did help us alot at first. When I decided that it was time to start showing, I just stopped using it and went back to the chain collar. I would go ahead and give it a try.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I have used prongs on all my dogs and they are great training tools. I would definately get one.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

If he is pulling and yanking you around and disregarding you, by all means get a Prong. My dogs were a prong collar every day for our regular walks. However, I train in a standard choke chain. You are not supposed to give "pop" corrections in a prong, and that's why I prefer the chain as I can give a good "pop" and release and the choke collar actually makes a good noise with the correction.

If if makes you feel any better neither of my dogs heels on our walks. We just walk and they are out in front of me prancing, sniffing, crisscrossing, etc. BUT.. when we work for obedience they are in heel position and do nicely.

It all comes down to what you let them do, when.

Keep up with the training.

Thanks everyone. I guess I will give it a try. I am thinking of trying to do trials, but that won't before awhile yet.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I would never start out a puppy(say a year old or younger) on a prong collar but once you have about 2-3 months of training and the dog understands everything to do with heeling then a prong collar is actually nicer to the dog. It is far better to give one effective correction than 50 inefective corrections in my experience. And I was always taught that it is a "pop" correction for both types of collars.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Well another week in and all seems to be going well. The only thing I have found out that these are more like family pet classes and they are a good refresher for Magnum.
    I guess that I did't explain myself clearlly to the instructor when registering for the classes. It has been a few months that we did the first classes and they were outside.So I guess that these classes will payoff in the long run. I guess we will have to see how it goes if we are going to continue moving up the ladder in obedience. This is the first time I have ever thought about doing trials with my dog.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magnumsmom
    This is the first time I have ever thought about doing trials with my dog.
    Just a warning--it is adicting!!! ;D
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I need to find the twelve step program for trialing dogs!! someone please help!! I have gone from that "gateway" rally trials to obedience and am now just starting the "heavy" Agility trials!!!! I need help!!!It has started affecting my job and my back account!!

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />