Class this week (long w/questions)

Thread: Class this week (long w/questions)

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultClass this week (long w/questions)

Jake had a blast again this week He got to do tunnels, only maybe two feet long, but he loves them, so he was just beside himself.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the way they are teaching weave polls. Jake's been working on them for about two months with me at home, and he'll weave six most of the time (I only have 6). I dropped him back to four recently because he seemed anxious about them, and was rushing too much. We did that for a week and now he's back to six looking better.

They teach weaves by moving them apart to form two rows of alternating polls, then have the handler call the dog down the center while saying "weave!" Over the next few weeks they say they'll move the polls closer together, so the dog eventually has to weave.

I felt bad that Jake was visibly confused seeing weave polls set up, and then being told to go down the middle of them. He tried to weave them in the off-set position, but the instructor pulled him back to the center and walked him down to me both times. I talked to her about it after class, explained that I had used a lure, push-pull method to teach Jake and was going to show her what he does, hopefully get her input on if he looked okay to her with that method.

She immediately said I would need to do what the club did, because my method would always be too slow and their method teaches for speed. Now I'm at a loss of what to do - do I stop practicing at home? Switch to what we're doing in class at home? Ask her to watch Jake do them next week? I just don't want him confused and to lose his confidence on the polls, I also don't want to give up all the work we've done at the same time since I feel like the method we used worked for Jake. What would you all do?

This is a video of Jake doing the four polls last weekend (ignore my high-pitched "you can do it" voice ) - sorry it's a little off kilter and so short, I'm doing both the videoing and the dog handling. Are we that far off from what a newbie dog should be doing? He'll do them off-side about half the time, and I'm getting him to work farther ahead of me little by little and trying to switch from "out-in-out" to "weave-weave-weave" so I don't mix up my words and mess him up.

Sorry this is so long, I just want to do best by him, since he tries so hard to do what I want and likes his class so much!

Add: this is the site that describes how I first showed Jake what was to be done on the weave polls http://www.beardieagilitydiehards.or.../gyesweav.html

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Class this week (long w/questions)

I hate instructor's that can't be flexible. I would simply refuse to do the "channel" method if you prefer the way you are teaching at home and he's doing well with that. Our agility class INSISTS on having wire guides on the weaves. Magnum and Ruger both hated those and constantly just tried to jump them. I finally just stopped doing their weaves altogether and practice on my own at home.

In my agility class I'm VERY flexible and I don't make anyone do anything they don't want to do. After all, it's their dog and their ambitions or lack thereof. I also always explain more than one way to do something.

Next time you run a course, just skip the channel and move on to the next obstacle.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

The channel weaves are the latest and greatest fad for teaching weaves. I had the exact same issue in Essy's class. The instructor said "these teach the dogs better, faster, more reliably, blah, blah, blah." It apparently is the best thing since sliced bread. Of course it didn't hurt that she was trying to sell sets to all of the students. : Everyone bought a set but me because I already have the straight set at home. I taught Murray using the straight weaves with guide wires so that's also how I taught Essy before we ever started in a class. I talked to the instructor about it and at first she was reluctant to let me do something different but I showed her where Essy was at performance wise and eventually she set up the straight weaves for us and the channel weaves for everyone else. Now that the rest of the class has the weaves almost in a straight line, I just use the channel weaves too and Essy doesn't seem to have any issue switching back and forth between the two.

I will say that the one thing I do like about channels is that it quickly teaches the dog to do the single step weave (left, right, left, right step) that you see with the really fast dogs. It occurs naturally as you move the poles towards a straight line because the dog is used to running straight down the center but now the opening is too close so they are forced to do that type of step to get thru the weaves quickly.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them on my next dog. The only reason I had an issue this time was because I had already taught Essy the weaves using the straight poles. I really have no problem trying something new but I also live by the motto "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." ;D

I guess in your case I would tell the instructor that you will use the channels once they are closer to being in line but until that time, you will continue to use the straight weaves. If she doesn't want to budge, don't get stressed about it. Just tell her that you won't be doing weaves in class until they are in straight line. Then everyone is happy...hopefully.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ZRL
    ZRL is offline Senior Member

I had that *exact* issue with Zeke at my agility class. My instructors didn't believe me (because everyone seems to think Zeke is dominant, goofy, and extremely hard to train). Anyway, since they thought he was bad they were like "Show us...but they will probably need work, which we can fix with our channel weaves."

He weaves better than their own dogs, so that was the end of that! :P (I don't use "out, in, out,in" anymore. I faded that out ASAP)

Btw, I quit with those trainers. Don't mind my sarcastic/angry tone when I talk about them :P
    Zeke RN, agility miscreant and CGC failure

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the advice/commiseration

I'm hoping he'll switch to a step/one foot weave as he becomes more comfortable and I can ask him to go faster. I thought about getting guide wires for my polls here so I can start pressing him to work faster and see if he'll switch to the faster method.

Did anyone here have a dog the two-footed/bounced and then switched to stepping through the polls? If he'll never switch, then I suppose I'd consider starting all over with the channel method, because I feel like this is a lot of bouncing and stress on his joints.

Next week I'll get to class a little earlier (we already go 20 min early!) and try to talk to the trainer/show her what Jake does and see how that goes.

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

You can change the way a dog does go through the poles by changing the distance between poles. I forget which way it is but lengthening the poles either causes them to twostep or single step. a lot of it is due to the length of the dog and the length of its reach and legs. so if you want to try and teach the single step then adjust the pole distances to get the single steps and then gradually, very gradually begin to bring them closer to the regulation distance. Also using the channel method and gradually closing the channel that last inch or two over weeks or months can teach the dog to single step the poles.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />