Can We Talk Distractions?

Thread: Can We Talk Distractions?

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultCan We Talk Distractions?

Took Ruger over to my breeders this morning to work him. Where I set up the ring.. there was a small pond with ducks in it to the right of the ring, to the left about 150 yards away were her kennels and paddock areas and when her dogs all saw Ruger the barking began and never stopped. In front of us, beyond the ring gating, is the freeway and it's ABOVE us as it's an overpass, so cars and trucks were whizzing past and very loud. Beyond her property but out of site is a train track and two trains went by as we worked, couldn't hear a thing! And, to top it all off, her Maine Coon cat decided to hang around and tease Ruger.

Despite all of the above distractions, Ruger did every single go-out I sent him on. He did refuse a jump once (but really can't fault him as he had only about six feet in front of it before he would have collided with a car in the parking lot... my breeder owns a nursery (plants, landscaping). Gloves were troublesome as he didn't want to mark but wanted to glimpse the dogs. Still we did actually do all the gloves we practiced on.. .he only messed up on two of them (we did about ten).

Scent articles, perfect. My breeder was very impressed. (She played the judge and hovered near the pile).

Signals, had some glitches on the sit. We corrected and worked through them and he was doing nicely at the end. My breeder was scowling and I said, "he's doing pretty well, what's up?" She didn't realize I was signaling him to "sit" and thought he was supposed to stand up at that point, LOL. (She's not an obedience person).

I'm hoping this continued plan of mine... to haul him to places we have never practiced before... stresses him enough that when we actually get to the show, where he's been a dozen or more time before... it will be easy for him

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Can We Talk Distractions?

Linda, that is great!!!! I know at Caleb's class they increased his stress level more. Utility isn't a walk in the park, that is for sure!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Wow! That's a lot of distractions. It would have all been over for Murray once he saw the pond so close. ;D

It sounds like Ruger is doing well and gaining confidence.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lydia, the pond was so close, the last staunchion of my ring gating was almost in the water. It's a small pond, probably only about twenty feet across, but he ignored it. He was mainly concerned about the cat, and then the barking dogs. The highway over his head and the trains didn't seem to bother him all that much

patm is offline Senior Member

Good boy Ruger!!! Cats? Forget it - Emilu would be GONE!

As long as the cat doesn't run, Ruger's okay, but REALLY worried :

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

What a good boy!

Jake would be gone after the geese : They're his achilles heel, he just can't resist them and pigeons (*blech*)

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy