Rally & Obedience to be Separate Shows now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally & Obedience to be Separate Shows now

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally & Obedience to be Separate Shows now

Have you heard, AKC is now going to allow Rally and Obedience trials to be seperated (wait, weren't they already?).

Our club usually has them together. Several other venues I go to has them together, and it's very hard to show in both, I always have conflicts that stress me out, so I've stopped showing in both.

I guess #'s are down, and AKC is trying to find a way to bring them back up?

Opinions anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

I'd be surprised if they weren't allowed before to be held separately (actually, I'm sure they have been on different day at our regional specialty the past few years!). As a treasurer for an all breed club, we pay separate fees for Rally trials and have been all along. It's why the 2nd entry discount won't work for Rally. Anne

patm is offline Senior Member

I think that what it has been, is that you can't have a Rally trial without also having an obedience trial. You could have an obedience trial without rally, but not rally without obedience. I also think that they could be held on separate days. This kept shows from having rally without also having obedience. I'm not sure if it will help attendence. I know that it is hard to do rally and obedience at the same show, but with the economy the way it is, I want the most bang for my buck, and that means entering them all instead of having to go to different shows. I don't see clubs having more shows, I see them maybe dropping either rally or obedience on a particular day, thus decreasing entries overall. We'll see.......

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by patm View Post
    I think that what it has been, is that you can't have a Rally trial without also having an obedience trial. You could have an obedience trial without rally, but not rally without obedience. I also think that they could be held on separate days. This kept shows from having rally without also having obedience. I'm not sure if it will help attendence. I know that it is hard to do rally and obedience at the same show, but with the economy the way it is, I want the most bang for my buck, and that means entering them all instead of having to go to different shows. I don't see clubs having more shows, I see them maybe dropping either rally or obedience on a particular day, thus decreasing entries overall. We'll see.......
    But I don't think that is the case. I am almost positive that PSLRA had rally one day, obed the next last year and the year prior at their specialty. I didn't enter for that reason as I need to do both when I burn a tank of gas...

I said that I thought they could be held on different days, but "next to each other". I just think that you couldn't hold rally all by itself - I'll check out my old regs book.

From the AKC Rally Regulations- updated in 2008, same as 2005

Chapter 1
    General Regulatioins for Rally Trials
    ...... In order for a club to receive AKC approval to hold a rally trial, the club must hold an obedience trial with all regular obedience classes offered in conjunction with the rally trial. If the obedience trial is to be limited, the rally trial must also be limtied to not exceed the number of houts as the limmtiied obedience trial. The rally trial must have the same format as the obedience trial....

I think that they were afraid that clubs would start offering rally and not obedience.

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

the AgilitySecretary I work for wants to start offering Rally at the 40 or so agility shows she does a year. That might get some of the agility people to start doing rally and maybe just maybe a few more doing obedience.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

All the shows I've been to it's been rally and obedience going at the same time or obedience am and rally pm at a specialty. I also know what it is like to be going back and forth biting nails to make sure everything goes well and not any ring conflicts,etc.

Agility and Rally would be good because then all the agility folks hanging around would have something else to enter. I don't do agility but have been told a lot of waiting around for your turn to run, so might be nice to be able to earn a rally title also at an agility match.

I'm for more options AS LONG AS, it does not impede on obedience which the numbers have been down lately. If clubs had the option of offering one or the other I hope that they wouldn't forgo obedience because Rally is a bigger money maker due to the fact that Rally draws in more entries...though I think it has plateaued for now and not growing quite as rapdily as it was.

If it helps out the clubs then perhaps it is a good thing...just don't tread on obedience

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would LOVE if if rally were available at Agility trials. I would go all the time.

I also think it would be good to have a separate rally trial. What would be wrong with some clubs only offering rally. People would go and enter. It's not going to take away from the regular OB numbers. In fact, if they get hooked on rally, they may want to go on to OB.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Canyon Labradors View Post
    I would LOVE if if rally were available at Agility trials. I would go all the time.

I also think it would be good to have a separate rally trial. What would be wrong with some clubs only offering rally. People would go and enter. It's not going to take away from the regular OB numbers. In fact, if they get hooked on rally, they may want to go on to OB.
    Same here! Rally and agility would be awesome That's one of the main things holding me back from starting to compete in agility - I already feel stretched traveling to Rally shows and the thought of having to find sep places to go to for agility just is too much stress (and effort - I am a lazy competitor at heart).

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast