Rally sign question

Thread: Rally sign question

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally sign question

So, after seeing that Jake could acutally heel with distractions and reading over the rally regulations I think we might try that too - at the very least the practice would be helpful for our agility class too.

I looked over the signs this week, I'll need to straighten his sits and work on finishes. One station has me stumped though, I think I've read it 50 times - I hope this isn't a foreshadowing of my rally adventures :P

29. Left About Turn. While moving with the dog in heel position, the handler makes an about turn to the left, while at the same time, the dog must move around the handler to the right and to heel position. The dog does not sit before moving forward in the heel position with the handler.
    So where's that head-scratching icon? Is this a common exercise in novice?

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally sign question

Yes, this is a common Novice exercise. Not really that hard once you grasp it. While heeling, you will turn into the dog, send the dog behind you as you turn to your left and they end up in heel position. You'll need to transfer your leash behind your back as they go around behind you. If you have taught the finish to the right, it is very similar to that but you are moving.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

That makes sense no,! I wasn't thinking about moving the leash around me too, and it being a finish right but moving. Thanks so much! - time for me to go trip over Jake for a while!

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

I had problems with this in the beginning too but once you figure it out, it's really easy

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

I think that one confuses everyone at first! Even when you're looking at the sign, it's like ???

It does get to be second nature once you do it slowly a few times.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Actually if you turn quickly it is easier for the dog. When you turn slowly the dog tries to back up to stay in heel position, just pivot around to your left quickly and wahlah, the dog goes ??? and jumps into heel position to the right thinking "what the heck just happened. ;D
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

So can I essentially pivot to my left, take a slight side-step to my right and call him to heel at the same time? Or would the step to my right (to better line him up to go into heeling) be a no-no?

I've been practicing by myself with just a lead in my hand, no need to confuse both of us at once. The neighbors know I'm always good for a laugh between my "out! in! out! in! out! in! YESSSS!" weaves and now walking my invisible dog

patm is offline Senior Member

Yes - I remember wondering about this one too. I asked one of the people at class to show me what it looked like. She did , and then I asked you how you taught your dog to do it . She said she didn't know - she just did it. And that's what I did too. I tell Emilu "go around" and turn a tight circle in front of her so she can't turn with me. As I'm turning, I pass the leash to my other hand and kinda guide her with it around the back of me (no tight leash though!) We have had that one twice in a shows - so they do use it.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The sign is scarier that the actual exercise in my opinion.* If your dog can do a right finish, then this is easy...as long as you can remember to do a left about turn while you are guiding your dog into a right finish.* In our 5 Rally Novice trials and 1 Rally Advanced trial, we have never come across it.* We see it EVERY match though.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

It's been on every novice/advanced course we've ever done. It's a very common sign out here.

Quote Originally Posted by yellojakesmom
    So can I essentially pivot to my left, take a slight side-step to my right and call him to heel at the same time?
    No need to side step at all. If you pivot correctly, you are going back on the same line you were originally heeling on.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE