My Rally shadow

Thread: My Rally shadow

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultMy Rally shadow

When I am working with Emma, I have Aidan there watching us. I put a loose lead on him and just let him hang out. He has been following us through stations and bless his heart, when Emma sits, he sits. When she walks around me, he mimics her. I am wondering how much of this he is picking up...absorbing. Now, sometimes he decides class is OVER and kamikaze attacks Emma in the middle of an exericse but for the most part he is extremely attentive. And this is one FOOD driven puppy...omg.
    Jeffrey was commenting to me that Aidan's going to get his RN before Emma. And while we laughed about it.. HE Very well might be RIGHT. He is much more laid back than Emma and if I have food in my mouth his eyes are glued on me. He will bump into things before looking away lol. So, who knows...he might be ready way before she is.

I need some exercises that I can use with him to keep him interested, things that will be helpful in rally in the future. Does anyone have puppy exercises? Kind of like preparation exercises I can use with him?

Emma's issue now is her pace. She does everything way too fast. She loves the agility course because she can step on the gas and fly around. Rally pace seems to fluster her. ( This is when it is her and I, no distractions ) I'm sure I can keep drilling with her and get her to slow down, it is just going to take time. Maybe exercising her really well before we train would help. She also anticipates way too much. So, I'm working on that with her also. She'll get there but it's going to take time.
    Now, if someone took her outside shot a bird and said go get it? She would excel at that. I guess it is her Field Bred genes kicking in. :
    <br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My Rally shadow

This is a good time to begin working on a lot of attention exercises with him. He seems to be getting it all ready but really reinforce it, even with distractions. Also, I would not allow him to do the work with you because he is all ready deciding when he is done. That can form into a really bad habit of him deciding when to work and when not. Keep each of their "work" times separate. Plus, that will create a special time with each dog. If he seems really excited to work, then put Emma on a sit or down stay and do some things with him. Nice built in distractions!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Boys Mom
    This is a good time to begin working on a lot of attention exercises with him.* He seems to be getting it all ready but really reinforce it, even with distractions.* Also, I would not allow him to do the work with you because he is all ready deciding when he is done.* That can form into a really bad habit of him deciding when to work and when not.* Keep each of their "work" times separate.* Plus, that will create a special time with each dog.* *If he seems really excited to work, then put Emma on a sit or down stay and do some things with him.* Nice built in distractions!
    Good point and something I never thought about. I thought just the exposure would be good for him but youre right, he is deciding when he is done and when Emma is done as well lol.
    I thought he was too young to be doing anything more than basic training exercises. But I was wrong about that also. He is ready for some more technical skills then just sit and down. And he is SO excited when we're working. Might as well capitalize on that now.
    Thanks Susan
    <br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Ruger had the BEST stays for me in Open because of Magnum. When Ru was little I'd put him in a down stay so I could work with Magnum and at times I'd forget and leave the boy in that stay for like... 15 minutes at a time. And bless his heart he'd stay there until I released him (because I MADE him do it... in the beginning if he got up I'd get my angry voice and make him go right back down... he learned quickly to stay put .

I think Ruger was much more reliable because of Magnum.

Also in agility it DOES help to have a seasoned dog do an obstacle so the beginner dog can see and copy the action. We do this alot with our beginner dogs. I'll run a seasoned dog up over the A-frame while a beginner dog just watches... 9 times out of 10 the beginner dog wants to follow

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Dogs absolutely learn from each other...good and bad.*

Essy watched Murray fetch the paper once. After that, she would race Murray for the paper and try to grab it from him if he got to it first and Murray grabs it from Essy if she gets it first.* I'm lucky I have a paper at all by the time they get back to me.* :

When I had a foster, Murray potty trained her for me. He taught her how to use the doggy door and she never had an accident in the house because she always went out with Murray.

Essy watches everything I do with Murray then when I work with her, she copies exactly what he did. Murray has never been a touchy feely dog but Essy is all hands on.* She loves for me to tickle her and scritch her butt.* She hops around and play bows and just has a great time which makes me laugh.* Murray watches us do this and feels left out so now he has been coming up to me and trying to get me to tickle him so he can hop around it.* It's pretty funny.

Having a sibling to learn from is one of the quickest ways to teach them.*

<br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

It's very possible that he's learning that way. I just read an article in the latest Lab Quarterly and one of the people interviewed was telling a story about how her husband's dog was watching her train her dog, and it ended up that HE picked up everything from watching and actually went on to earn high points in his trials. His training was significantly less than the other dog, but it is apparently possible.

YellowJakesMom is offline Senior Member

How cool for Aidan! I would have to agree with whomever posted about letting him decide when he stops working - my horse does that and it's a huge pain to try to remedy.

My mom's pap mix learned how to shake and roll over by watching her older lab do them - I think dogs are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for

Only after the last tree has been cut down, only after the last river has been poisoned, only after the last fish has been caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten. - Cree prophecy