first time in Open A
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: first time in Open A

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

Defaultfirst time in Open A (NOW WITH RESULTS)

I am entered in Open A for the first time this Friday at the LRCSC specialty (southern california). We are not really ready for open but we still might pull off a Q if she does the broad jump. I entered mainly to help support the club and just to have some fun. I am going to see if I can make this a really fun experience for Amber. So wish us luck we need it..lol

Kelly and Amber
    Last edited by Amber The Duck Dawg; 04-24-2009 at 06:38 PM.
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Luvmydog2much is offline Senior Member

Good luck and fingers and paws crossed for you! I have a good feeling for you!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

"IF she does the broad jump"????

Now get that turned around in your head before Friday, okay? Believe that she *Will* DO that broad jump... (hey, it works sometimes!). Best of luck and have fun! Anne

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thumbs up

Look forward to hearing how you do and I agree with Anne...got to think positive and more like 'WHEN' she does the broad jump. I often laugh at myself though when Sandy doesn't qualify because it is something I did as a handler to mess him up or he just thinks he is supposed to be doing something a little differently.

Today in training he decided to 'tip toe through the tulips' = "tip toed through the broad jump', but at least I got him to do it right again.

My weakness is his fronts....sigh...that is what will get me in open A. After the retrieve over high he comes back over with the dumbell but then somtimes looks lost like hey...I got it ...exercise is done right...and just stans there looking silly and it is out of arm length so an NQ that was my previous Open A expereince....will be trying for our much needed two remaining legs at shows this June.

It is great that you're supporting your local lab club!!!!! Have fun and we'll be cheering for you in Oregon and I'll be happy that a yellow lab is out there doing stuff....not many here always seem to be black or chocolate

patm is offline Senior Member

Good Luck! Emilu and I haven't done so well in Open - we've NQ'd all 4 times now, and while it probably has alot to do with me, Emilu tends to freeze in the Open ring. She knows her stuff, but isn't quite sure she should do it in the ring. If I could just give 2 commands, I might get her to slowly amble out to do her thing....... And while I'm SURE your dog won't walk that broad jump, in the Open ring is the ONLY time I see Emilu carefully walk between each board.

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Kelly have a great time!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

debjen is offline Senior Member

Have a good time..

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

I have no dobt amber will do something for the broad jump..lol She may cut the front corner, she may walk the boards, she is most likely to hit or tick the last board, or she may be clean. If she looks like she might walk the boards I will simply turn early and move some to get her to jump it. I realized this will very probably NQ us but it should make it easier on Amber. I have already decided to write "Fetch" on my hand so I will see it when they hand me the dumbell. I don't want to send her on her name..lol
    I haven't spent as much time as I should have in training for this, but Amber is very good at carrying me through such things..lol

Kelly and Amber
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amber The Duck Dawg View Post
    I have already decided to write "Fetch" on my hand so I will see it when they hand me the dumbell. I don't want to send her on her name..lol
    Kelly and Amber

I bet you could write it in small letters on your dumbbell if you wanted. Just tell the judge your other dog's name is "Fetch" and you grabbed the wrong dumbbell.

FWIW, on the broad jump once I get into place at the side of the jump, I take a good "look" down at that last board-- not at my dog-- so when the judge says "send your dog" the dog is (hopefully) getting that message that I'm willing her over that last board! I look up at my dog and say "doggy OVER!" turning as she's flying (yes, think positive!) by! I dunno, but it's really helped my dogs to remind them exactly where I want them clearing that. Anne

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Best of luck and most of all have fun!!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast