3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultSusan, Lydia, Linda???

Waiting for some news from the Utility Rings

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Susan, Lydia, Linda???

We weren't competing this weekend. Today we went to a Rally workshop and then did a run through of utility at our club when we got back (both dogs). Kona did well today ..... hopefully it will come together next Sat.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Well, each time gets better, I guess! His heeling was so right on again! MAN! Left him on the signal, turned and he was coming in. Turned away from him so he could not front or make eye contact. Articles, gloves good. Moving stand was better. Moved just a little. Go-outs again he looped around but this time he did sit on the second command. Judge even said that it is obviously a security issue. But, with not allowing him to front and make eye contact with me on the goof ups he realized that the I had control in the ring rather than him. No grabbing my sleeve and not letting go!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

Well, each time gets better, I guess!
    Keep finding a positive each time in the ring. It will come together for you and Caleb ............. hang in there!!
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Susan, so what did you Q on and what did you NQ on? I'm hoping tomorrow will be better for you. I didn't know Caleb grabbed your sleeve and wouldn't let go. Silly guy!!!

Are you still planning on coming to our show in January?

We Q's on the articles, gloves and moving stand. We really want to. I've had some problems with one of my staff members and the whole class pulled out--that is a lot of $ that I have to refund. So, I have to see if I am able to do any showing! I know I have to enter him at the be Cleveland Crown Classic since I am vending so I can get him in. I do want a premium list. Lew is all for coming down. Will talk with my instructor more on Tuesday. It is such a security issue with him. Oh, we did not Q on the signals (came in behind me) and the go-outs.

A week ago he got so wild that he kept grabbing my sleeve and would not settle down to continue. We almost got excused from the ring! It is his stress release. Today and yesterday with turning away from him sent him a message though.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Susan I really feel for you on the confidence issue. I don't understand how these dogs which have been so confident up to this point can suddenly have this type of issue. I'm glad your heeling is holding together. Ours fell apart horribly. We used to have wonderful heeling scores, now we are so bad I'm not even sure if we pass (don't know because they don't score heeling separate from signals so if you NQ the signals, you NQ the entire exercise). I hope for all of our sake that the dogs just need time otherwise, I have no idea what to do. :-\
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

There are two things I keep reminding myself--first of all we had a similar problem in Open with the drop on recall. He would not drop until he was at my feet.

Second, we have a breed that has been bred to work very close to our side--mark, retrieve and then come right back. Labs are not normally a natural flusher--a dog who runs away and works independently of the handler. So, I have to work through this as well. Each breed has its pluses and minuses when it comes to training.

Lydia, what all does Murray like to do inbetween exercises? Depending on Caleb, I either have to heel him between exercises to keep him under control or I will do some "touches" to my hand to help build up attitude. Some dogs need to be "roughed" up (rubbing their sides) to get them back in the game between exercises. Utility is stressful which is why I try to make the training more stressful than the ring. I will begin to have more people walking behind him during signals now, too. That seems to be one of the things that blows his mind!

Was I disapointed we didn't qualify--yes I am. I would lie if I said I wasn't. But, I have to look at what was better this weekend and what I will work on in the next few weeks before our next show(s).
    Susan

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

That's the problem. Normally I play with him between exercises but he is so stressed he doesn't even want to do that.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Quote Originally Posted by rottnlabs
    That's the problem.* Normally I play with him between exercises but he is so stressed he doesn't even want to do that.*
    Utility is new and thus very stressful (part of the reason why Caleb walks in behind me). May be try him on Rescue Remedy or Oxyfresh's Primorye Gold. I use the Oxyfresh everyday for both of us and the Gold before we go in the ring and I do notice a difference.
    Susan

www.labmed.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast