Rally Advanced or Novice Obedience?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rally Advanced or Novice Obedience?

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRally Advanced or Novice Obedience?

We have a trial coming up in January. It's four days. I'm planning to take off work for it.

The question is:

What am I doing?

Angus: Can't decide whether to do Rally Advanced or Novice Obedience. He can do all the Advanced (and Excellent) exercises. On a leash. : The idea of Angus off-leash terrifies me!

He can also do all the Novice Obedience exercises. Except for the stays. : We could spend the next two months cramming for the exam. If he got those down he could squeak out a Q, I think. ??? Things he might surprise me with would be:

a) Heeling - he will forge. Actually, that won't be a surprise.
    b) Stand for exam - He might decide to be snarky and make me ask him to do this twice.
    c) Figure Eight - The one thing he always does perfectly. I have no worries about this!
    d) Recall - He may decide to combine front and finish into one move. :

Simon: OK, do I even want to consider enetering them both in something? Is that just biting off too much?

Well, if I did decide to, I really wouldn't anticipate a lot of problems with him. Especially if we worked hard towards one or the other for the next couple of months, I'm sure I could get him there. He has a rock solid stay. No sweat on that. He only has a couple of issues:

a) Left turns. He's still learning to watch me for cues that we are turning left, and learning to get his butt in. But he is trying so hard! It is very cute to watch him try his best to get his butt around.
    b) On the recall, he sometimes sits a little far away. I am working on getting him closer. He is much improved, and I think by then he could be there.

Well? I've been wrestling with this for a month now! Opinions please? ;D Help me decide!!

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally Advanced or Novice Obedience?

Oh boy! This should make you completly nuts Enter Simon in Rally Novice - sounds like he can do it easily since you can give hin multiple voice commands. And he deserves to get to do something. I know exactly what you mean about the off-leash stuff - I'm worried about Emilu too. If you're really nervous about it, just enter Rally Advanced and skip Obdience Novice for now. At least you can coach him thoughout the whole thing. You have to do off-leash in obedience too, so either one makes you do off-leash. For some reason though, I am less nervous about Rally than traditional obedience, and I think if you are going to take 2 dogs, then Rally is the way to go right now. Make sure someone can go with you to help with logistics. Of course this is all easy for me to say - it's much better telling someone else what they should do ;D

Well, also, if I entered one in Rally Advanced and one in Rally Novice, I could be assured that they would not overlap, but also that I wouldn't be down there for hours on end.

Connie and "The Boys":

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Geez you could enter in 4 events a day with your two dogs...You would have to enter one in novice A and one in Novice B assuming you haven't titled a dog before in obedience. or both in Novice B, assuming you can find a friend to do sits and downswith one of your dogs. of course that would be about $320 in entry fees for all 4 days. You might want to alternate dogs and days to save money by only entering one dog a day but entering in both rally and obedience. This is workable as I entered both rally and obedience with one dog in at least 4 shows and all worked out fine. In fact its almost easier as there is less time to worry because there is stuff you have to do. I would probably though only enter one dog in obedience each day maybe Simon the first threee days and Angus the last day. and then enter Angus in rally the first three days and Simon the last three days. This will give you the posibility of three titles over the 4 days.. and a lighter easier first day and a last day. Either way good luck! and have fun! And don't forget to breathe!!

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

labby is offline Senior Member

Do Rally. Its more fun. I'm not sure I'll ever do regular obedience again.

Laura

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I would do Simon in Rally Novice and Angus in Rally Advanced and Novice Obedience. You never know they might do well. Just on the points you mentioned with Angus
    a) Heeling - he will forge. Actually, that won't be a surprise.How far ahead will he forge? If he is still in control, you would only loose some points not fail the exercise
    b) Stand for exam - He might decide to be snarky and make me ask him to do this twice.Remember, you can touch the dog and place him in stand and touch him all you want, UNTIL you stand up in heel next to him. Then you say STAY and walk away. You say STAND once and put him in it...would that make it better for you?
    c) Figure Eight - The one thing he always does perfectly. I have no worries about this!
    d) Recall - He may decide to combine front and finish into one move.At my last match, my judge told me that the main point of the exercise is WILL the dog come to you. Fronts, finishes etc. are point deductions, not failures. Hud knows how to come and sit straight in front, but that day in the ring he sat 2 ft to my right. It was minor points off too...so...

I guess it depends on if you want a perfect score or if you want just a Q.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Depends on what you want. Personally I think having a CD is much more of an accomplishment than any Rally title. I found Rally easy and not very challenging. If you are unsure about Simon off leash, I'd go in Rally Advanced first where you can talk to him to keep him with you. A lot of people are going all the way through Rally first and then doing Novice Obedience... gives the dogs a bit more ring savvy.

Whatever you decide to do.. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN ;D

patm is offline Senior Member

I found Rally easy and not very challenging.
    It really really unnerves me. I come off a Rally course physically shaking. I hate it.
    Is this your alter personalty speaking? Just surprised to hear you say this. I think that both Rally and obedience have their challenges. I must admit that I am more nervous about entering obedience - but I'm not sure that Rally is all them much easier - especially once you go on to Advanced. There's alot of stuff for your dog to know how to do. Obdience just has that "aura" about it that makes you more nervous.

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

No, it's not my alter ego speaking. I have never liked Rally. I do like it for the reason that it is bringing new people into the sport, but I feel it's not challenging when compared to standard obedience. I hope the the people coming into Rally will then go on to the regular obedience classes, but I bet that won't happen as often as the AKC was hoping. I think having a dog that has to work away from you, making decisions on it's own, is much more challenging and rewarding than walking through a course where you are continually talking to the dog and reading signs along the way.

Just my opinion. I've done Rally thru Excellent level. And will most likely do it again with my next dog because it does give the dog ring experience on a positive note. But in my opinion I am much more impressed with a dog that earns a CD over even an RAE.

Go figure 8)

I think in obedience (from what I've heard) the scoring is tougher. But Rally is a lot more demanding on the handler, in terms of having to remember a lot. You aren't given any instruction in Rally other than "forward." In obedience, you have a judge telling you every move to make.

Here's one example I can think of that illustrates how much harder it can be on the handler. I have given this some thought, with the prospect of the next thing Angus does being off-leash

If he decided to do a few laps around the ring in obedience instead of off-leash heeling along with me, I would just keep doing the heeling pattern. Humiliating, yes. But at least I don't have to do anything except what I'm supposed to do.

If he decided to do a few laps around the ring in Rally Advanced, I am suddenly under a monumental amount of pressure to be cheerful and interesting and engaging, and get his ass back to me.

I agree that the ring experience in Rally would be valuable for obedience.

And to be totally honest, I take traditional obedience a little more seriously than I do Rally for some reason. I don't mind a few points here and there in Rally, but I think I would be more upset in obedience. I have no idea why. :-\ Part of me feels like he needs to be *perfect* before we step into the obedience ring. I don't feel that pressure in Rally.

Connie and "The Boys":

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast