Sitting on the finish
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sitting on the finish

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultSitting on the finish

Anything I can do to get Emma to STOP anticipating commands? She is sitting on the finishes : If I say no she will then pop right back up but I've tried several things and cant seem to break her of this habit.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sitting on the finish

Um, I believe you want her to sit on a finish.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

I'm confused too. When I think of a finish, it's a movement to get to your left side and sit down usually from a front position. So, you can do an around finish (dog goes to your right, behind your back, and siits on your left) or a swing finish (dog pivots on you left side and sits on your left).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

You do want her sitting on the finish but you want her to go at your command. Do what is called "steadying them out" where you vary the time before giving the command. Example when leaving for the recall, you go to the other side of the room, turn and face your dog. Vary the time between the time you turn and face the dog and call. I am doing that with Caleb with a lot of the Utility excercises (like getting him to not go on the judge's command to jump!). Also, I don't put the recall and finish together. That often causes an automatic finish. About the only time I put it together is in the ring. Mayby once or twice before but not often at all.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

patm is offline Senior Member

I know this one! I assume you are talking about some of the "finishes" in Rally ( like call front, finish left and then start heeling without a sit). It is a little confusing for the dog, because if you taught finishes like you do in obedience, they ARE supposed to sit automatically. Then here comes Rally when sometimes you just keep right on heeling. After your dog has been called front and you tell them to finish, just start heeling before they make it all the way around, and say "heel" and even give a little tug (during practice only - not in the ring) Mix it up with finishes that they do sit at (these are also in Rally) so they start to pay attention to which one they are supposed to do. My problem with Emilu was that she stopped sitting automaticlly at the end of her finishes in obedience and waited for me to either say "sit" or "heel". Rally does make it a little confusing for the dog that has only done tradtional obedience, but since you can talk to them in Rally, that's what you do. Hope this helps!

WeHeartLabs is offline Senior Member

It did help. I think I'm showing it to her the same way every time. I asked my husband to watch and he noticed this also. Switch it up or she thinks she is smarter and anticipates. I dont want her sitting until I ask her too. Ex: When I call front, finish left and dont want a sit but want a heel.
    <br /><br />

AngusFangus is offline Senior Member

Ditto what Pat said.

I had this trouble too. It does help to start forward movement a little, even if it's only leaning forward while they are finishing to let them know you're about to take off.

I had another problem with this...I had been teaching "Get in," as in scoot your butt and adjust your sit until you are in heel position. Angus somehow transferred this to his left finish, and was just basically butt-scooting from a front into heel. He wasn't rising and walking and turning to do the flip finish. I didn't correct it because nobody seemed to take issue with it, so it wasn't a problem till we got into Rally.

I started exaggerating my hand signal a little more...really guiding him with my hand through the motions of the flip finish...and he got it back.

Connie and "The Boys":
    Angus, Yellow Lab, CGC, RE, CD
    Simon, d.b.a. Flat Coated Retriever, CGC, RE, CD

Gone ahead, but forever in my heart:
    Crash, Pit Bull x Rottweiler x Golden Retriever

patm is offline Senior Member

Two additionsl things.

I don't want her sitting until I ask her too
    Just remember - this is OK for Rally - but not if you want to continue into traditional obdience. They have to do their finish and sit with only one command in obedience. I think the important thing to do (and I need to do this with Emilu too) is to have them sit automatically unless you tell them to heel - before they sit down. There is NO place in obedience where they would heel before sitting after a finish, and you can ALWAYS talk to them in Rally - so make that your difference - in one you don't say anything else, and in the other you say heel, and start walking before they can sit down.

Also - in Rally - you are actually supposed to start walking before the dog completely finishes their "finish" , so the dog almost has to catch up with you . This is the way the rules are written. So you should start walking before the dog has a chance to sit.

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Can you teach Emma different commands for different finishes? For obedience, you can use "around," which means finish with automatic sit. For rally, you can use "to the right" (or whatever else you can come up with), which means finish but keep standing until next command.

labby is offline Senior Member

Just remember in rally they must know how to finish from both sides.

Laura

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast