long vent about class...

Thread: long vent about class...

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

Defaultlong vent about class...

I'm in a beginner class with Gabby at Petsmart (the major training club here folded two years ago...and they had the only class that worked with my schedule). I thought it would be better than nothing...

I'm sure you all have seen the mini-training rings at Petsmart. I assumed since the space was small, it would be a small class...yikes, no, they put eleven in there!

There's a lady who has a 100 lb lab mix that pulls like a sled dog. She has him on a flat collar and does't use treats. She can't understand why Gabby is soo enthusiastic about walking with me- uhhh, it's the hot dog in my pocket...

There's a lady with a bichon frise who let her dog jump on Gabby during the downs...She was very surprised when I asked her to control her dog. My response "oh, I don't want Gabby to hurt your dog, since Gabs is just a puppy and is so much bigger." What I wanted to say..."because you're being f**ing rude."

To top it off- there is a woman with a young golden and a four year old boy. The boy has nothing to do during class- so he ran at dogs, barked at them, pretended to be an airplane and swooped around the dogs. I don't have kids and I'm not particularly tolerant of ill-behaved kids in this kind of situation. I waited for the mom to control him for a while- then I asked him to stop what he was doing, not to run at Gabby, and finally, to ask permission when he wanted to pet Gabs...

I found a wonderful trainer that I work with regularly- but he doesn't like teaching classes, so I end up doing private lessons with him. They're so much more productive than class, but so much more expensive....

sorry, just had to vent

<br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: long vent about class...

Sounds typical. To be honest I've never heard a good training story from a pet store.

imported_gabbys mom is offline Senior Member

yeah, i can understand why
    <br />U-CD Of Love and Other Demons, CD, RE, CGC (Gabby)<br />Maverick<br />Saint Louis

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

that sounds like the experience I had with Petsmart. I enrolled Sam not long after I got him, and it was a zoo! 5 or 6 in the way too small ring, a box of toys that random children from outside wandered in to play with and to throw at the dogs and I think I've blocked out the rest. It was too ridiculous. i went to two lessons, and then never went back.

Frances

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raian
    Sounds typical.* To be honest I've never heard a good training story from a pet store.
    Diddo. It is sad all the money people pay. Then, when they want to come to my facility and go into one of the advanced classes I usually have to end up placing them back in my beginner's. So sad but people are conditioned to go there.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Bummer, but it reminds me of the classes I took through the Parks and Recreation program. Well, it wasn't THAT bad.

That's cool that you can take private lessons. If I could find them here AND afford them (anything is too expensive these days), I would do them in a minute.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Unbelievable!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE