Obedience class last night... oh, my

Thread: Obedience class last night... oh, my

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

DefaultObedience class last night... oh, my

We went to obedience class. Wow. The instructor was in a BAD mood. (I had already been told that she was "moody" but last night was the first time I got to see it!) Was late, and truly never said a word to anyone, just barked out what she wanted us to do next. We managed all of it. Nothing out of the ordinary that we don't do most of the time. It was cold out there! At the end she said, "Graduation is next week if anyone wants to try" (in a snarky voice, like no one could pass. ) And I agree I don't think anyone in there can pass. I asked if it would be the same stuff we've done in class. She said "Some of it is off lead". But didn't bother to elaborate. The class was sort of at a loss and someone said "So, are we through?" And she said, "unless y'all want to stand out here in the cold" And then she left. We were just sort of standing there. One of the other women who's been there before took a minute and explained to me what was on lead and what was off. It's just like novice obedience. I told her there wasn't any point in our trying that and I wasn't ready to have Sam out there off lead with a parking lot full of dogs (the basic class is taking their test at the same time). She suggested I bring him to the basic test (she teaches it) and let him do that one just for practice. Hopefully he can pass that! She said the classes would start again sometime in late Feb when the weather warms up. Goodness. So I guess now we will work mainly on Rally stuff. Actually I'm relieved. Trying to cram all of this in has been a bit much. I still think she's a good trainer, but oh, my......

Frances

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Obedience class last night... oh, my

Sorry that the instructor was in a bad mood. That kind of thing tends to make me stressed, adn of course that goes right down the lead to the dog. Will that same class have the same instructor next time?
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Boy, sounds like those classes are fun--NOT! Guess I'm just a little sarcasitic since I just got another complaint about one of my beginner instructors. This just might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. Sorry you had a bad night!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SamIAm is offline Senior Member

Yes, the classes will be taught by the same instructor next time. Stephanie (the one who explained things to me) teaches Basic and runs the whole show, and Sharon (the moody one) teaches Advanced. I think she is good in that she has great drills and really stresses the fundamentals, but she's seriously lacking in people skills. I don't think I heard her say more than just a very FEW things directly to anyone about how they could do something better. She told me ONE thing during the whole time. anything else I specifically asked her. I know there is TONS of stuff I could do better.
    For instance here is a question I've had, but haven't had the nerve to ask her. On the halts, and the left turns and the right turns, is there a specific way that you should place your feet? I know you start forward heeling movement with the left leg, and any other forward movement where you expect the dog to remain in place with the right foot, but I suspect there are probably correct body cues for the other things also?

Frances

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Wow, I can't even imagine. I just wouldn't take that crap from ANYONE. I'd be in her face about it. That's just how I am. Especially if I'm paying money for something.

I never do this to people (other than family members). When I'm crabby I still manage to put a smile on my face for the sake of those around me... especially if I'm teaching a lesson. Many saturday's I'm exhausted.. I don't get home from work until 2:00 a.m. I get maybe four or five hours of sleep, its the end of the week, and I'm outside teaching my dog classes all afternoon, but I don't think any of my students would tell you I'm crabby

You are a saint to put up with this. Good luck next week and I hope you do well at your graduation!!

patm is offline Senior Member

It constantly amazes me too , that people act like this around other people - especially if they are supposed to be teaching you something. Even when the obedience nazi (my advanced instructor) sent me home in tears, it wasn't because she was mean and snarkey ( well - I thought she was mean to me - but at least she spoke ) . And the instructor isn't THAT good if she doesn't help poeple and explain things - that's half of helping people train their dogs. I'm sorry that you have to continue with her.