Tracking--HELP!!!

Thread: Tracking--HELP!!!

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultTracking--HELP!!!

well, i didn't have enough to do, apparently. somebody in our Agility Club started a tracking 'fun' Club, and i signed up.
    i know NOTHING about tracking other than the labs do some in some Hunt Tests.
    what would be a good place to start to learn? -i prefer books/magazines, but will cheerfully read websites too!
    any & all suggestions will be more than welcome, it would be nice to not act/look/feel like a complete idiot when i show up with 3 dogs for the first meet [or whatever it's called....]
    thanks to all in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

labby is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tracking--HELP!!!

Not sure if this book is still the book that most trackers use (it was when I was tracking)
    http://workingdogs.com/bookstore/us/...0914124048.htm

There are a bunch of tracking books here
    http://www.workingdogs.com/book015.htm

Make sure you have a harness that fits the dog(s). When I was tracking we started with a harness the first day. The dog learned that when that harness came out we were going to be using our nose.

Some use food to track so bring something you can lay down on the track in case they use food. You might also contact the person(s) heading up the tracking class and ask what you need to bring.

Laura

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I pm'd you
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

cinderbay is offline Senior Member

I take my classes with a woman named Susan Eldred. She is also a Lab person. Her and her husband are both tracking judges as well.
    They wrote a wonderful book called "Fascinating Scent". It is a very easy read and has really helped understand tracking from a dogs point of view.
    Great starter book for anyone.
    Susan has helped many people get started in tracking here in Michgan and Ohio.

I don't know where you can purchase the book other than from her direct.

Her email: [email protected]
    Kim

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

Tracking dog- Theory and Methods by Glen Johnson...great read.

It helped us to get going, having the co-author down the road may have helped LOL.

Good luck, and have fun!

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

thanks for all the replies & pm's--i had no idea there was such a wealth of info out there!

okay--first dumb question--is there any requirement for a particular type of harness? how long does the attached line have to be?--am i assuming wrongly there IS an attached line?
    okay, okay, that's several dumb questions......[in Hunt Tests the dog just runs free under observation]

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

We're starting in tracking this November, too. Our trainer said that J & J tracking harnesses are pretty good. I just ordered a nylon harness for Scotty. J & J also has 40' tracking lines. I believe for a test, you have to be 20' away from the dog. So, many (at least local people) tie a short string into a knot at a 20' distance on their longer tracking line.

canUdigIt is offline Senior Member

I get most of Ruby's harnesses at Pawmark.

http://www.pawmark.com/home.html

The harness that your dog wears must be non-restrictive, and that is the only special requirement...unfortunately for me, they didn't say it had to be a certain color, so we got one of each! I ordered them from above and he threw in matching collars so now she has a matching collar for before she is taken to the flag, and after. Style is everything right?

They also have matching lines...oh boy...$$$

I use a 40 ft line with a knot at 17ft so I know when I am getting regulation, and use just a little at that point...but just in case, I have extra line. I use cotton, as nylon burns your hands!