Thinking of going to my first obedience match....

Thread: Thinking of going to my first obedience match....

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

DefaultThinking of going to my first obedience match....

okay, I am a newbie at all this akc match stuff so my question is, my local club is putting on an "A" Match to become sanctioned with akc how formal will this be? As a first time in a ring to be judged I am going to be nervous...and make plenty of mistakes but I assume this A match is not for points so I can be a little more laid back, Am I right or wrong? Also is a choke chain okay? Thanks
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thinking of going to my first obedience match....

Sanctioned matches are VERY formal.* It will run just like a trial. It allows the club to practice as if it is the real thing.* Unfortunately, that means you will also be expected to act/show as* if it were a trial.*No training in the ring, no do overs, no treats/toys in the ring, etc.* No points/titles are awarded at sanctioned matches but most clubs do present ribbons (the colors are different than real pointed ribbons)

Fun matches are matches where things are less formal and you can train in the ring and usually bring treats/toys.

Yes you can use a choke collar.

~edited~ I also wanted to say that even though this is a sanctioned match, you should still go. The experience will be worthwhile. Even if you make a mistake, they will not put you in front of a firing squad. They stopped that practice years ago.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree that you should go too. While it is "formal" and done EXACTLY like a show, you can still keep in your mind that it's a match. You need to get out there and get the practice in the ring. You AND your dog. It's natural to have ring jitters, but if you have the chance to do matches and show n go's, I would do them for the practice.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I try to shy away from sanctioned matches because they are only good for training people and can cause problems with dogs. A fun match is a better place to have you and your dogs first ring experience. A better option might be to volunteer to help at one of the rings for the trial. You will probably learn more and have a better time. New clubs always need ring help or any type of help.

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

okay thanks for the information...now that I know it is "like" the real thing we might just go and volunteer. I don't want a negative experience hold me and my dog back and I know we aren't ready for the competing levels. thanks again.
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

One other thing to try for your first experience is to enter the Sub-Novice class if you can find one. Usually they have them in Obedience club shows and some Specialty (Breed) shows. This is a no pressure class and the judges are usually very very helpful and all exercises are done on a 6ft leash including the group exercises (sit and down stays).
    Hope this helps

Kelly G and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />