Rally Question 123 Back

Thread: Rally Question 123 Back

Mom2Rowdy is offline Member

DefaultRally Question 123 Back

HELP!!! I got a little problem and need a little advise. All of a sudden Rowdy has started to anticipate finishes. On the 123 back he doesn't follow me he just want to finish. I hesitate pulling the treat and luring him because he has this little habit of training me to pull a treat when he just doesn't feel like doing something. I am thinking I just need to stop doing finishes for a week and just do the 123 and fronts without a finish. Do you think this will get him back on track or is there something I am missing her?
    <br /><br />Rowdy RL1, EVBB Donor

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rally Question 123 Back

Is this the call front, step 1,2,3 calling to front or the heeling backwards three steps?

If it's the first one I would do it on leash and then you can prevent a finish if you are wanting a front.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Sorry, I write like I talk and assume people understand. Yes it is Call Front 123.
    I was very surprised because this is one of his best and favorite things to do, but then he LOVES finish right. He tries to be cute and will sometimes goose me on the way around. He is such a brat.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Most dogs do, at some time or other try to finish on this. Stick out your leg, have a long dowel, something to prevent him from finishing. I practice my finishes totally separate from recall exercises and this does help with some of the anticipation. Emphasis coming to front and praise like crazy with your voice. You might have to take some steps back that when he does one or two release him out of it and play and then go back to work.
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

Remember you CAN talk to your dog throughout this exercise. When he come front tell him "Sit, Stay!" and go back two steps and repeat the "Sit, Stay!" command. Spit out that "Stay" command quickly. I'm sure he'll get the hang of it.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

This was one of the exercises that killed Meghan and Essy at the last show because Essy finished instead of fronting on every step. : For the past week we have been practicing the call front 123 back using a chute of sorts. I just lay pvc poles on the ground and have Essy front in between them. It's a marker for her for practicing straight sits. We do not finish her inside those poles. The first few times we have to really choke up on the lead (hold it just about where it connects to the collar) to prevent her from finishing. After one or two times, she understands and we can let the leash out. This week we are working on it without the chute in hopes to be ready for the show this weekend.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Thanks everyone. We practiced today, just walking me walking backwards and having him sit at random. Of course he didn't do it. I am thinking maybe because there was a lot going on and with the time change we were well into his bed time.

Thanks again.

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

I have been doing several things to help avoid anticipation. I will do a recall (or a call front etc.) and then have them finish left or right always keep mixing it up, I will have them down once Amber is in the front position, I will have Amber shake paws in the front position and I will sometimes just move myself into heel position by turning around or walking around her to heel position. Variety helps keep the dogs attention focused on you and avoids anticipation. and I need all the help I can get because I swear Amber has ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) Do they make Ridilan for Dogs???

Kelly G and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />