Eyes Locked On Target (more utility stuff)

Thread: Eyes Locked On Target (more utility stuff)

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultEyes Locked On Target (more utility stuff)

Another thing I've noticed Ruger doing ... when we do go outs.. he will, periodically, sit and start working those eyebrows and eyes and I can see him lock on to a jump. Even if he looks back to me and I signal him for the other jump he will ALWAYS take the jump his eyes have locked onto.

My trainer friend told me I need to take a step back and just savor the moment... Once I know he's locked on to a jump, DON'T send him, just praise him for the sit and go out and treat him, praise and heel back with him to set up for it again.

As long as he does the sit and keeps his eyes on me, we are good to go (and send him over a jump).

He does this with gloves as well, and she told me again, "just take a moment to savor that sit with him". If I see his eyes looking at another glove, relax, physically mark him on the glove we want and tell him he's good and praise when I see his eyes lock on our glove, but DON'T send him. Release him and then set him up again for the exercise.

Ruger's problem is NOT actually doing the retrieve (gloves) or the jump (go-outs) it's focusing.

She was tremendously helpful for me last night when we worked the dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eyes Locked On Target (more utility stuff)

That is so true! I even do a marking game with Caleb with the gloves. I have all my gloves out and throw them in some type of circle and then pivot and have him mark the glove I am facing. Reward for the mark and then pivot to another glove and do the same thing. I also have been working with Caleb on a "look" command for the focusing for the go outs and working on the focus for the directed jumps as well. So much is attention in Utility!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

lcspt is offline Senior Member

So much is attention in Utility!
    That is so true. I have worked hard with Kona on keeping his attention on me for signals ........ he used to have to check out the judge!! ;D
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt
    he used to have to check out the judge!!* ;D
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lcspt

That is so true. I have worked hard with Kona on keeping his attention on me for signals ........ he used to have to check out the judge!!* ;D
    One of my training buddies had the same problem. I had her start doing her signals with tennis ball in her hand (graduating to smaller and smaller balls). That boy doesn't take his attention off her now.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE