Utility Run-thru today

Thread: Utility Run-thru today

3TailsWaggin is offline Senior Member

DefaultUtility Run-thru today

Well I met my friend who is a double OTCH handler for a run thru today. Ruger's heeling was beautiful. His signals... he crept on the down and didn't want to do it so I had to give him the verbal. He did the sit and come very nicely, but anticipated the finish and just finished on his own.

Scent articles, the first one was perfect. The 2nd one he just ran out and grabbed one!

Gloves, he got it. She was easy on us though and gave us glove #2

Stand for exam, he was perfect and didn't move a muscle and came in straight to heel. He's really pretty solid on this exercise.

Go-outs, the first one he ran like a bat out of hell to the gating, stopped and did a nice sit and took the jump perfectly. The 2nd go out walked out reluctantly and stopped and looked at me so I went out and gave him a correction by running him out to the gating. We tried it again and he zoomed right out and took the high jump with no problems.

All in all he did well. I am beginning to have a problem with him anticipating or finishing on the judges command, so we worked on that. She told me "finish" while I told Ruger "stay". It seemed to help him a good bit and I'll have to get someone to continue practicing this with me.

Also discovering that we have a 2nd exercise problem... as in... go outs and scent articles. The first time out he aces it, the 2nd time he doesn't want to play the game anymore. I was thinking it was a confidence issue, but my friend said if that was the case he wouldn't want to go out on the first part of the exercise, not the second part. My friend said she thinks he is not understanding that it's a two part exercise and he's reluctant to go out again because he thinks he did it wrong the first time. She suggested doing lots of these and keeping all of them fun. Don't just do two and quit. Do five or more. If any of you have an idea for this, let me know as it's really hurting us right now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

lcspt is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Utility Run-thru today

Also discovering that we have a 2nd exercise problem... If any of you have an idea for this, let me know as it's really hurting us right now.
    Once Kona knows the exercise we only practice it at the most 3 times correctly and then move onto something else. I try to avoid drilling Kona.

With anticipating finishes I do a couple of things. I have told Kona to stay when he is at front and have the "judge" say finish at least twice. The other thing I have done is to move myself to heel position. The last thing I do is to not finish.
    "In moments of joy all of us wished we possessed a tail we could wag." W. H. Auden

Linda, Kona and Bo

Linda, I've started to not even finish him. I think he's done it so much it's just automatic to him.

I'm not really sure what to do about the 2nd parts of our scent articles and go-outs. The notion that he thinks he's done it wrong the first time does make sense to me, but I'm not sure that repeating the exercise over and over is the answer, that's why I'm wondering if anyone else has suggestions to help cure this one

Thanks for the input!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ObedienceLabs4Me is offline Senior Member

LInda that was the same problem I was having with Caleb--not doing the second part of an exercise. I do agree--he does not understand that it is a two parter! That is part of the reason they had me do at least 10 sets of articles (up to 30 when we were really having a problem) and lots and lots of go outs, so when you quit at two, it isn't a big deal. Actually that is one of the easier things to fix!!!
    Susan
    UCDX GRCH Dunn's Marsh Caleb of Waltona UDX3, OM3, RAE Canadian UD, RE
    FallRiver's Micah of Waltona GN RAE, Canadian CD, RN

www.labmed.org

Susan, thanks for the input. I see you are telling me to do the same thing my friend told me... just increase the exercise and do lots of them. I will begin working on this immediately and trust you that it's an easy one to fix

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Linda you are experiencing very normal green dog stuff so hang in there. It will eventually click in his mind.

Luckily Murray loves training, particularly the gloves and articles, so he'll do them as many times as I'll let him. ;D

Maybe try doing the opposite article first (if you always do metal first, try leather first) and see if it makes any difference. It shouldn't but you just never know what goes on in those little doggy minds of theirs.

I'd also whoop it up big time when he retrieves the first article, jackpot him, throw his ball, whatever, so he knows he was right. Then ask "do ya want to do it again? Huh?" In a real excited voice. Then do it again and have a party again. Each time add on another retrieve (2 today, 3 tomorrow, 4 the next day) always with lots of excitement when he's right so he thinks it is a game. I will do 2-3 metals in a row, then 2-3 leathers. Some dogs may think of that as punishment though so you might want to switch back and forth between the two types.

You can also try going back to the beginning for the second article (close to the pile, cheese on the article, etc) to help him uinderstand this is a 2 part exercise but the key is to stay upbeat about it all. It's really a confidence issue that he has to work thru.

As for go outs, I've stopped putting treats ont he posts/stancions and started treating after the sit instead. Murray goes out, there is no treat, I tell him to sit, he turns and sits, I run out and give him some squeeze cheese. His sits have become much quicker and he has stopped shopping for treats on the go out poles/stancions. My hope is that he will remember this at the shows since our problem is that he runs out, realizes there is no treat, then his brain melts.

Quote Originally Posted by raian

All in all he did well. I am beginning to have a problem with him anticipating or finishing on the judges command, so we worked on that. She told me "finish" while I told Ruger "stay". It seemed to help him a good bit and I'll have to get someone to continue practicing this with me.
    Hahaha! Murray and Ruger could be twins. ;D Murray has been trying to finish on the judges commands since Novice. Consider yourself lucky if you are just now having the issue. I do not finish Murray anymore. He knows how to do that. This weekend my training buddy really worked on the auto finishes. She was down right mean. Any time Murray was in the front position, she would walk up quickly behind him, straddle him, and loudly say "finish", "heel", "swing", "around", "good boy", "ok". I can't tell you how many times Murray broke before he caught on to the game and would sit there staring intently at me really concentrating on trying to block out the "voices in his head". ;D Then I started adding shoulder fakes, eye movement, etc and he would break at first but soon caught on to that too.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

Lydia, I too was thinking it was the leather article (I usually use metal first) but we did switch it around and it didn't matter, it was the 2nd part of the exercise, so we will be working on this a lot!

I have also started treating him after the sit (on go-outs) rather than putting cheese on the stanchion... but sometimes I will still put cheese out there just to make the game a bit more fun. Sometimes I walk out and just point at it, and walk back to him and send him.

So much to learn and fix and learn and fix ;D