Back to right VS Back to left - RallyO

Thread: Back to right VS Back to left - RallyO

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultBack to right VS Back to left - RallyO

Another newby question. I have been working on the command to have Rocky go behind me on the right side and sit on my left. But I was reading the info on Rally-O and you have to have them go by your left and end on your right as well.

How do you distinguish the two for your pup? Do you use a different word/command
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Back to right VS Back to left - RallyO

What station would they go to your left and end up on your right? I can't think of any off hand. Maybe you are confusing it with the "call front" finish right? That means they should just go to your right,, behind you and end up on your left at heel position. "finish left just means they go to your left and swing around to heel position.

I probably explained that all wrong- here is the station:

Call Front - Finish Right - Forward
    While heeling, the handler stop foward motion and call the dog to the front position (dog sits in front and faces the handler). The handler may take several steps backwards as the dog turns and moves to sit in the front position. The second part of the exercise directs the handler to move forward while commanding the dog to change from the front position to the handler's RIGHT, AROUND THE BACK OF THE HANDLER, and to a heel position as the handler continues forward.

They have the same thing again but with the dog goes to the handler's left but WITHOUT going behind you.

So should the dog always be to your left??

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

patm is offline Senior Member

Yes - as you go on to the next station, your dog is always on your left in the heel position. Sometimes you have them sit after finishing a station and sometimes you don't, but they are always on your left. Does that help?

LOL! I guess that should have been my FIRST question. I walk rocky on both sides - he doesn't show any problems with that. So I have forgotten what side they usually "train" you to walk them. I honestly prfer my right (away from people I pass and away from the cards on the road).

HOWEVER, when I trained Rock to go behind me and in a heel position we did THAT right (by complete fluke) so at least i will not have to retrain that one! (he was getting confused when I tried it just now).

THANK YOU!

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

About 90% of Novice Rally is heeling. All the turns fasts slows, spirals,serpintines, and sits are basic on leash heeling in Novice Rally. Heel position is the dog lined up in the direction you are facing, on your left side, and with the dogs neck lined up with your left hip. the dog should be about 4-6 inches away from you not bumping into you. if the dog gets his shoulder ahead of your hip it is forging, if its head drops back behind your hip it is lagging, if it is more than a dog width away from you it is going wide and if it is bumping you it is crowding. All of these can be 1 pt errors in both Obedience and rally. If your leash goes tight it is a 1 pt error (Most common error I think). Down and sit and stay are also required and there are 5 signs with call front in novice and 2 signs have a finish left and 3 signs have a finish right in novice. (Call front 1,2,3 steps back) The moving down might be the hardest sign in Novice.
    You might also train with a piece of PVC cut at a slight angle on one end. When you come to a sit or a down you can use the PVC by pushing it down next to the dogs backside before sitting or downing this will prevent him from turning sideways to look at you. After a couple or three weeks of this then you can use the PVC to lightly tap the dogs backside if he starts to sit or down crooked. Also make sure that you teach the dog to down from a stand by going down front first or front same time as rear. You don't want to have the dog sit first and then down.
    Hope these tips help you

Kelly G and Amber CD RA CGC
    Chino Ca
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

oops I just noticed that in Rally you have a 2 foot area on your left side that is considered acceptable heeling position. I gave the Obedience heel position.

Kelly
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    How do you distinguish the two for your pup?* Do you use a different word/command
    Yes I use a different word. "Heel" means finish to the right. "Swing" means swing yourself to the left and end up in heel position on my left.

Some people use "around" or "go by" to mean go to the right and behind but I don't see any reason to teach yet another command that "I" have to remember. I've never had any confusing using "heel" to mean the same thing. You could just as easily use "heel" to mean finish to the left and use another word to mean finish to the right but you have to be consistant.

One word of advice... Do not use "finish" to mean finish (either direction). If you go into traditional obedience, "finish" is the command the judge gives for you to finish your dog. You do not want your dog to finish on the judge's command.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE